We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay- HELP!!

Which Plettenberg Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay- HELP!!

We will be driving in August from Cape Town to Kwandwe, stopping in the Garden Route along the way. We are a family of 5- 2 adults, 2 adult kids and one 11 year old.

Is Plettenberg Bay a good place to stop? Is another place better? One night or two?

Anyone have info on Kurland or Hunter's County Lodge?

Thanks- I'm getting desperate!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay- HELP!!

Haven't stayed at either of the places you mention but they look very nice indeed and generally in SA the standard of accommodation and service is extremely high and would think either would be great, whichever you feel offers the best accommodation for the 5 of you.

Plettenberg Bay has a magnificent beach, you can take a boat trip and see the seal colony, dolphins and whales (close encounters!)

Knysna has a pleasant waterfront development where you can enjoy a meal or drink overlooking the lagoon and enjoy local oysters if you like that sort of thing.. You can take a boat trip across the lagoon to Featherbed Nature Reserve. Ride up to the high point then stroll back down enjoying fantastic scenery and end up back at the restaurant to enjoy an excellent buffet (all included) before sailing back to Knysna. You can also visit the Knysna elephants. Bit touristy with about 6 elephants who you can hand feed and stroke.

Further on towards Port Elizabeth is Storms River Mouth in Tsitsikamma National Park, well worth a visit for the scenery.

There are other attractions, deppends on your interests but I would think certainly 2 nights would be fine.

Hope this helps your sort things out a little. Any further questions please ask.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay- HELP!!

Many thanks, Somersetal. I will look into all the places you mentioned.

london
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay- HELP!!

I have just e-mailed a friend who has a house in Plett and will let you know as soon as they reply. Would you be able to let me know the sort of budget you have in mind and when you are going? I have stayed at the Plettenburg hotel which is superb however, with a group your size it might prove to be rather expensive.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay- HELP!!

We'll be traveling to Plett somewhere between August 7-10, staying for two nights. I'm still struggling through the budget process. Once I finalize all the non-negotiables (airfare, safaris, etc.), I'll have a better idea of what I can afford for Plett and Cape Town. If your friend has any info about the hotels or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay- HELP!!

One other attraction about 16 km from Plettenberg is Monkeyland (www.monkeyland.co.za) which is a primate sanctuary with free roaming monkeys of many varieties. Again depends if you are interested in such a place, have a look at their website for more info

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay- HELP!!

Monkeyland certainly sounds interesting- I will check out the website. It might be just the thing for my son. Thanks so much!

cape town
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay- HELP!!

Hello all!

Some accommodation advice needed... does anybody know a guest house, B&B, even backpacker's with a double ensuite room for up to 300 rand (150 pp)? we're going on the easter holidays... and jefrrey's bay for the following week. Any suggestions? Thanks! Denise

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay- HELP!!

Hello Denise,

Take a look at the Portfolio Collection website -- they have a wide range of accommodation in the area and their places are always high-quality -- I spent a month and a half travelling around SA staying in Portfolio guesthouses and B&Bs and was never disappointed.

http://www.portfoliocollection.com/

Cheers,

Julian

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay- HELP!!

And I would suggest safarinow.com as another resource.

cape town
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay- HELP!!

Thanks all! I have found a b&b on safarinow that seems great!

All the best!