We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kichaka location

Which Grahamstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond-upon-Thames...
Level Contributor
3 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Kichaka location

For the life of me I can't find it on any map, we've got road maps and looked on Google but Kichaka doesn't come up, only as the postbox in Grahamstown....

Apart from turning left at a road sign 100km from PE what is the actual location?

Thanks

Peter

6 replies to this topic
Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kichaka location

Hi, I found this with google in about 5 seconds. The lodge is between Grahamstown and PE, more specifically between Alicedale and the N2 highway.

You will not find it on a map because it is a game reserve, not a town.

Look at wwwkichaka.co.za

Directions (from Port Elizabeth airport 110km):

Leave the airport turn left at the traffic circle

Continue over the railway line and turn right at the traffic lights (Heugh Rd)

Continue straight to the last traffic lights at the bottom of the hill

Turn left and follow the N2 towards Grahamstown for +- 100 km until you see the Kichaka sign

Turn left at the Kichaka sign

Continue 3,5 km on the gravel road

You will arrive at the Kichaka Lodge gate on your left

E 26°17'94" S 33°24'57"

Proceed up the road to the reception area where you will be met by Kichaka Staff

Edited: 7:35 am, March 30, 2011
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kichaka location

The directions and map on the website seem pretty clear to me?

http://www.kichaka.co.za/content.asp?pageID=8

Unfortunately the GPS coordinates have an error (94 seconds in a minute is too many!).

However Kichaka is owned by Hillside Safari Farms and seems to be either the same or an adjacent property.

"Hillside Safaris Game Farm, Eastern Cape" comes up in Google Maps.

Checking elsewhere confirms GPS Coordinates S33° 24' 31", E26° 17' 56", which takes you right to Hillside Safaris.

Edited: 7:43 am, March 30, 2011
Richmond-upon-Thames...
Level Contributor
3 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kichaka location

Navigator - this is not helpful to anyone. Shamwari is also a game reserve and not a town, yet appears on a map. I am not starting my journey from the points referred to in the website which I am aware of, and no doubt that many people who've booked or are booking with Kichaka are aware of

Van de Caab - wasn't aware of the Hillside connection

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kichaka location

Welsh, what a really silly remark from you after the effort I put in to help you.

Do not tell me it is not helpful, I do not want your silly comment. Just say thank you or do not say anything at all.

Edited: 9:02 am, March 30, 2011
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kichaka location

WW

With all respect, I have to agree with Navigator. You say "not helpful to anyone"! In case you had not seen it yourself, Nav posted the detail of the directions from Kichaka's website. Like Nav they seem to me to be totally clear. The diagramatic map and detailed directions on the website should allow you to pinpoint the junction to within a km or two on another map. They then point out that there is a clear sign for Kichaka at the junction from the N2 when you get there.

It is directly off the N2 and any map will show you that there are only two ways to drive along the N2 in this area - either from the direction of PE or Grahamstown. If you are coming from the north down the N10 the map on the website shows you which way to turn when you get to the N2. Where else are you coming from?

I have to say it took me a few more than 5 secs to find out what I posted - but not much! Looked at Google Maps - checked 106 km along the N2 from PE and 32km from Grahamstown. Very close to this point I saw "Hillside Safaris Game Farms". Googled this plus Kichaka. The first link I read indicated that HSGF was the owner of Kitchaka. Found the GPS cordinates on a different site which confirmed the same place. Finally worked out that the 94 and 57 on the Kichaka GPS coords should have been decimal minutes not seconds. Not 5secs but only a couple of minutes!

Didn't require a degree in Internet Science or Map Technology. Just a couple of minutes of time and a bit of common sense. To be told that "this is not helpful to anyone" is a pretty poor return for freely given help. Very sorry if you feel otherwise - what answer did you expect?!

Edited: 10:00 am, March 30, 2011
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kichaka location

Kichaka has traversal rights on Lalibela www.lalibela.co.za Game Reserve, which seems to be incorrectly labelled as "Hillside Safaris Game Farms" on Google Maps (or maybe that is the official name?).

The lodge is on the Eastern side of Lalibela. Presumably Lalibela also has traversal rights on any land owned by Kichaka.

Reply to: Kichaka location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grahamstown