We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amakhala - Big 5?

notts
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amakhala - Big 5?

We are visiting Amakhala next autumn, and am starting to doubt whether there is the chance of seeing the Big 5 there -can anyone help please?

Lacock, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amakhala - Big 5?

I went on a day safari there last week,we saw elephants,white rhino,cheetahs,various antelopes,kudu,sprigbok etc ,giraffes,zebra,vervet monkeys,secretary birds and a few others.

They have lions in a separate enclosure but we didn't see them and they're about to introduce them into the main park when the lioness has given birth.

They have buffalo and leopard apparently,but leopards are elusive creatures and we didn't see any of them either.

Bearing in mind that we were just on a 6 hour tour i should imagine the chances of seeing everything throughout a longer period are fairly high.

It's a spectacular park,with bushmans river running through it that cuts quite an impressive sight.

Sorry i can't compare it with any other bar addo but i'd go back there again,really enjoyed the day.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amakhala - Big 5?

Seeing leopard anywhere is difficult and it is more so in the Eastern Cape, with the dense bush.

notts
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Amakhala - Big 5?

Thanks for that information - very useful. Did you stay in the accommodation in Amakhala? If so, can you let me know how you rated it please? Cheers

Lacock, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amakhala - Big 5?

No we didn't.stayed at woodall lodge about 45mins away.

We did drive to reed lodge though which is on the amakhala estate,it looked nice enough.We were thinking of staying at akakhala for a few days but in the end decided to stay at woodall and take in day safari's instead.

notts
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Amakhala - Big 5?

Thank you - your information is much appreciated.

6. Re: Amakhala - Big 5?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 23, 2009