We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amakhala - Woodbury or 1920s tented camps?

Toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Amakhala - Woodbury or 1920s tented camps?

Hello!

We are going to Amakhala in three weeks and I'm debating which of the tented camps to stay in.

The 1920s camp includes a walking safari and a trip into Shamwari.

Woodbury doesn't have either of those - BUT it looks a tab more comfortable and seems to have slightly more 'infrastructure' and covered common areas which I am thinking might be a good idea at this time of year with it being a bit chilly at night. I know I am not getting the 'luxury' experience at either - which is just fine by me but I don't want to be cold and wet ; )

Is a game drive in Shamwari worth a little more discomfort for a few days....?

Thanks!

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amakhala - Woodbury or 1920s tented camps?

No discomfort at all at either, Quartermain’s 1920 Camp is fantastic there are just 3 tents, although they are tents they have en-suite facilities.

It is run by a husband and wife team Riaan and Julie, Julie came to South Africa from Exeter in the U.K. on a vets course and never went home they are great hosts and you will have a wonderful time.

The weather here should still be mild and I doubt there would be much if any rain.

Colin owner of Eastcapetours.

2. Re: Amakhala - Woodbury or 1920s tented camps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 20, 2015