We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

game parks and ethics

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
game parks and ethics

We're driving the garden route between Cape Town/Port Elizabeth and I'd love to visit some of the wildlife sanctuaries or parks, especially the elephants.

However I want to go to the places where I will be supporting the animals and avoid anything that treats them along the lines of zoos or theme parks. Any local knowledge of ethical places to go or avoid? Thanks

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: game parks and ethics

Go to Addo elephant,park. It is for sure no Zoo, donot get the wrong idea! The animals are freely roming aroind and habe tomprovide for their own food!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: game parks and ethics

We are driving garden route in January. Have decided against going to any of the facilities that offer animal-human interactions (e.g lion walks, feeding elephants etc) as I don't believe it's appropriate. There are plenty of discussions around about the issues with those kind of activities.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
322 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: game parks and ethics

As well as the Addo National Park, the private game rserves in the Eastern Cape are also fine there is nothing zoo like about any of them

Colin Eastcapetours

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: game parks and ethics

Hi there

So happy that you are asking this question rather than contribute to places that exploit wildlife for human pleasure and $. This is often a hot topic here and of course elsewhere.

Excellent advice above from LKK and I cannot agree strongly enough. Animal human interactions I too would avoid in any way at all, although plenty will disagree.

To me I would avoid any place that uses any of the following…pens and/or cages, wires or bars of any kind, training in any form which is usually thinly disguised, encouraging treats, hand feeding, petting, and worst of all putting an animal such as a cheetah on a collar and leash to walked… aarrrgghh!!.

So as you can see I feel quite strongly about this and probably just ruled out quite a few places but it's up to your conscience where you go.

As I have said so many times why do people want to travel to the source of some of the worlds most amazing wildlife where they can see it natural and in the wild as is meant to be, and then want to see it locked up! I just don’t get it.

Thanks for caring.

5. Re: game parks and ethics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 04, 2015