We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truly amazing

Woking, Surrey
Level Contributor
3 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Truly amazing

We picked up a car from Port Elizabeth airport and it took us about an hour and a half, not too bad a drive. We had a toyota jazz that had air con, once we got out of port elizabeth it was very plain scenary. We found the Blaauwbosch turnoff, drove down a dirt track to a large gated and electrified fence. We were welcomed by a guide and took the 5 minute drive rather scarily on our own to the lodge! But what a reception!

The lodge was wonderful, well presented, very nicely decorated with open fires and lots of space to sit around. The lodges are AMAZING. Gosh I could go on for hours!

We arrived about 3pm and had time to change, have some afternoon tea, traingle sandwiches, scones and cafetiere coffee. We went out on safari with the only other couple on the safari. They staid 2 nights and we had booked 3 nights and this meant we would be the only people on the safari on our last evening!

The drives set off at 4pm, we headed out and saw elephants including a baby which was ONE DAY old! The meal in the evening was superb, we had drinks served to us constantly and the service was personal and was provided by our guide Warren.

The next day we went for an extended drive to try and find Leopard, unfortunatly we did not see Leopard but we did see baboon, rhino's, giraffes, zebra and lots of deer/antelope things too many to remember the names!

The following evening we went to find the lions, we did find the pride, mother, father and twin cubs. We sat and watched the cubs playing for over an hour until the sun had disappeared! The most amazing experience that I will never forget, nor will my camera after 6 rolls of flm! I ran out and Warren lent us some!!!

The next morning we headed out to find cheetah, after over an hour we had seent he rhino but no cheeta, then Warren got a call on his radio, we headed out across the bush and there she was with her 4 cubs!!!! Yes, once again we sat there for over a hour in mid moring sun watching a cheetah and her 4 cubs.

What can I say after that??

This is the most magical place, the staff were exceptional, nothing was too much trouble. I was 3 months pregnant and the menu was change accordingly to accomdate me.

The animals are wild and although you can sometimes see the perimeter fence you never forget that these animals are not in a zoo!

I have no other safari experience to compare to but for me this was a truly magical experience.

Wimbledon england
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truly amazing

Hey!!

We followed you out there in august: saw the baby elklie about 2 months old! saw the lions also a few months older.

An outstanding place. i agree with everything you said.

which ranger did you have? Ours was tyrone: a large chap in all ways!!!

chris

2. Re: Truly amazing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 21, 2009