We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through Transkei with N2

Pretoria
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving through Transkei with N2

Can someone please advise me on the road conditions and level of danger to travel through the Transkei with the N2 this December. I have seen many warnings of danger and not sure if it is safe for me and my family.

Any feedback on safety and road conditions?

Will be travelling from East London to Port Edward via light motor vehicle.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
East London
East London
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Pretoria
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving through Transkei with N2

Thank you everyone for your assistance with feedback.

We travelled it today and the road is in very good condition. We had one stop and go just before Umthata with a 5 min delay. The only other roads works was just after Mount Alviff, which was bid of a bumpy ride, but not horrific.

We enjoyed our travel and the beautiful scenery, Merry Christmas to all and safe travels for the future.

Cape Town Central...
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving through Transkei with N2

It is a long road full of animals and some places potholes.

If your car gives trouble then you will be stranded there.

I never saw any breakdown trucks on that part of the N2.

I will never drive that road again.

Cape Town Central...
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving through Transkei with N2

There are no breakdown trucks.

It is not a pleasant drive.

Many animals and people along the whole road.

The full road is build up with houses.

I will never drive that road again. Never.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving through Transkei with N2

Hi last year in April we drove from the Umfolozi down the coast to Capetown. I was also concerned about safety and conditions especially since we planned a side trip to Mbyoti river lodge in the old Transkei. We were two families in a Mercedes combi and the trip was amazing! Provided you stick to the main roads you should encounter no problems. At Lusikisiki we took a wrong turn and faced pot holes that could have swallowed the car, naturally we had to drive on the pavement in those sections, but the main road was perfect. Because of animals and pedestrian traffic I would recommend driving during daylight only. I did heaps of research before going as I had not lived in SA for fourteen years (live in Austraia now) and my sister in law who lives in London (also ex South African) was also apprehensive! Do it!!! We only wished we had more time it took us 4 days with 2 nights at Mbyoti and 1 night at Storms river.

Mentioned in this post
Storms River
Storms River
Tsitsikamma National Park, South Africa
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving through Transkei with N2

Hi last year in April we drove from the Umfolozi down the coast to Capetown. I was also concerned about safety and conditions especially since we planned a side trip to Mbyoti river lodge in the old Transkei. We were two families in a Mercedes combi and the trip was amazing! Provided you stick to the main roads you should encounter no problems. At Lusikisiki we took a wrong turn and faced pot holes that could have swallowed the car, naturally we had to drive on the pavement in those sections, but the main road was perfect. Because of animals and pedestrian traffic I would recommend driving during daylight only. I did heaps of research before going as I had not lived in SA for fourteen years (live in Austraia now) and my sister in law who lives in London (also ex South African) was also apprehensive! Do it!!! We only wished we had more time it took us 4 days with 2 nights at Mbyoti and 1 night at Storms river.

Mentioned in this post
Storms River
Storms River
Tsitsikamma National Park, South Africa
Villiersdorp...
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving through Transkei with N2

Love this comment, but would be interested to see what the reaction was to your trip in the "state formerly known as the Transkei"!

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving through Transkei with N2

As far as I can see, you're the first to use that term in this thread, writer no. 16: "state formerly known as the Transkei." Perhaps you'd like to explain to everyone else why you inserted the quotation marks when the phrase seems to originate with your comment.

I for one very much enjoyed the Transkei. As I mentioned, we went back a second time. It's scenic, and all my memories are happy ones.

David

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving through Transkei with N2

Hi guys. I grew up in the Transkei. We moved from there in 1978 as it became dangerous. In 2005, we drove thru from Kokstad to Maclear. The area which is no longer called Transkei has become over populated in a very bad way. We could hardly get through Mt Frere and Qumbu. There were people everywhere on the N2 town part of Mt Frere - they did not care that they were in the way of oncoming traffic - they were everywhere on the road but on the sidewalks! It took us about 1& 1/2 hrs just to get thru Mt Frere! The next little town, Qumbu, same problem! U cant hoot at them nor shout at them to get out of the way or theyd throw stones or beat u up! I couldn't believe that the area I grew up in was in such a bad way! I promised myself then that was my last trip thru 'Transkei'! I will do anything in my power not to drive thru that chaos ever again. My poor mom was buried there years ago and we can't even visit her grave as it is too dangerous! People we grew up with, the Alexanders, were brutally tortured and murdered in Qumbu. There are other better routes, less dangerous to use eg: from Kokstad to Matatiele, Mt Fletcher, etc. check the map for this route. Yes there r animals on the road so u need to b careful. The other route I mentioned above has animals & people! So choose which is better! For me, certainly animals only!!

Mentioned in this post
Matatiele
Matatiele
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Driving through Transkei with N2

Hi guys. I grew up in the Transkei. We moved from there in 1978 as it became dangerous. In 2005, we drove thru from Kokstad to Maclear. The area which is no longer called Transkei has become over populated in a very bad way. We could hardly get through Mt Frere and Qumbu. There were people everywhere on the N2 town part of Mt Frere - they did not care that they were in the way of oncoming traffic - they were everywhere on the road but on the sidewalks! It took us about 1& 1/2 hrs just to get thru Mt Frere! The next little town, Qumbu, same problem! U cant hoot at them nor shout at them to get out of the way or theyd throw stones or beat u up! I couldn't believe that the area I grew up in was in such a bad way! I promised myself then that was my last trip thru 'Transkei'! I will do anything in my power not to drive thru that chaos ever again. My poor mom was buried there years ago and we can't even visit her grave as it is too dangerous! People we grew up with, the Alexanders, were brutally tortured and murdered in Qumbu. There are other better routes, less dangerous to use eg: from Kokstad to Matatiele, Mt Fletcher, etc. check the map for this route. Yes there r animals on the road so u need to b careful. The other route I mentioned above has animals & people! So choose which is better! For me, certainly animals only!!

Mentioned in this post
Matatiele
Matatiele
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Driving through Transkei with N2

Mentioned in this post
Matatiele
Matatiele