We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Final Port Elizabeth Questions!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
My Final Port Elizabeth Questions!

I leave in 10 days!

Some final questions:

1. We're interested in driving from PE to Tsitsikamma. Is it best to just take the N2 straight there? How is that road? Am I correct that Tsitsikamma is not really about animals as much as it is about landscape/seascape? The few pictures I've seen look spectacular.

2. Any parts of Port Elizabeth that we should avoid?

3. How is the government workers strike affecting those of you who live there?

Thank you for your help.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My Final Port Elizabeth Questions!

PE is a reasonably safe city. If you have time and if it is a nice day, I would drive down to the PE beachfront from the airport. It is only a 5 minute drive. You can then have a drink/snack at one of the many bars/restaurants/coffee shops or a walk along the beachfront before driving to Tsitsikamma.

Possible stops on the way include Jeffreys Bay. This is a detour.

The N2 is fine.

Animals in Tsitsikamma area include dassie (rock hyrax), small grey mongoose, monkeys, baboons. More interestings are the sea mammals, which include whales (species depend on time of year), otters, dolphins and seals.

sanparks.org/parks/…mammals.php

I keep asking people whether the strike is still on!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Final Port Elizabeth Questions!

Thank you lamlee. I'll keep my eyes open for those dassies and mongoose(s) (mongeese?).

You've been a great help to me planning this trip (thanks for pointing out the sanparks forum - a great resource. If I can ever return the favor (should you ever head to New York City, Florida, or Seattle) just let me know. :-)

3. Re: My Final Port Elizabeth Questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, September 03, 2009