We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days Near Addo: Which Safaris?

Europe
Level Contributor
5 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days Near Addo: Which Safaris?

Having previously experienced the magnificent Shamwari, I wanted to see some other parts of the game lands of Eastern Cape. We will be staying at Cosmos Cuisine near Addo for two nights. With their assistance we booked two shorter "early" morning (6am and 6.30am) drives into Addo and one longer that starts afternoon into evening at Schotia.

Could you suggest any alternatives to this plan to maximise our chances of seeing the Big 5 and the many pretty smaller ones too?

Many thanks!

ET

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 2 Days Near Addo: Which Safaris?

Ssshhh about the Baviaanskloof fynbos, I want to keep unknown

Europe
Level Contributor
5 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 2 Days Near Addo: Which Safaris?

Thanks a lot everyone. We are back from the holiday and we had a great time. Addo proved to be a highlight, having done early AM drive - no elephants but lions, a few types of antelope and a lot of smaller and cute animals. The mid-morning drive delivered over a hundred elephants - we had to go again next day for an extra fix of a hundred more! We also did Schotia in the evening, and we were very impressed with the format of the "event", the driver and even the meal. Unfortunately, it felt like a glorified zoo, with the fences always in sight, especially in the lion's enclosure. Still, seing the animals this way was worth it, as it forced them closer to us.

I think Shamwari successfully hides the fact that it is also a fenced-in reserve by being much larger and by using clever driving techniques which keep you mostly away from the fences.

As for Addo, with no fence in sight once you're past the main gate we were truly feeling the freedom of the open terrain. I am sure animals may feel different about it, but it was the most "safari-like" experience I had in South Africa. Masai Mara in Kenya is still the one that feels truer, though, to me. Pity that the park-provided drivers in Addo were rather bad at spotting the animals and simply kept to the standard route while driving a bit too fast. Had it not been for us, the passengers, we would not have seen much on the 6AM drive - we had to make the driver go back to see lions etc after he drove past oblivious... Schotia and Shamwari drivers are way better at the job of spotting.

I am with you on creating one very large reserve with fewer or no fences.

Till the next time,

ET.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2 Days Near Addo: Which Safaris?

Hello Fynbos,

Regret to advise that Baviaanskloof is not a World Heritage Site.

However, it does form part of the eight sites identified as examples of the fynbos biome.

South Africa's magnificent World Heritage Sites are:

Drakensberg

Mapungubwe

St Lucia Wetland

Robben Island

Vredefort Dome

Cradle of Humankind

Cape Flora Kingdom.

Would just like to be sure that visitors to South Africa are not mis-informed.

14. Re: 2 Days Near Addo: Which Safaris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:25 am, August 29, 2009