We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road from Prescott to Jerome

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
road from Prescott to Jerome

A friend is planning to visit this area in January. I thought I had seen on a map at one time that the road from Prescott to Jerome closes due to snow in the winter. I think this is 89A. I can't find this info now and would appreciate any info on this. Thanks

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,504 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road from Prescott to Jerome

Nope. It probably closes if there is enough snow, because it's very curvy, but that's pretty rare at that elevation.

Highways conditions: http://az511.com/hcrsweb/hcrsweb.jsp

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,858 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road from Prescott to Jerome

89A is normally open, but can be extremely dangerous during snow storms. Check az511 if the possibility exists. Driving around the mountain via Dewey and Camp Verde on lower, safer highways only adds a few minutes.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road from Prescott to Jerome

don' t usually see the road get closed due to snow but as theres plenty of switchbacks and fewer guardrailsbest bet, if its been snowing hard within a couple days of travel, go around and come up from clarkdale.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road from Prescott to Jerome

You have received a bit of misleading advice. First of all, there is OFTEN the possibility of January snow on 89A between Jerome and Prescott. "That elevation" is actually quite high (7,700 feet at the top), and Mingus Mountain does get snow in winter, even if the surrounding areas do not. I have seen them close the road over the mountain, although it's not very frequent. Do check the road conditions before your friend's trip, and just drive slowly if it is open; there are definitely lots of switchbacks and blind curves.

Also, I'm not sure what Prescottbubba is referring to when he says "go around and come up from Clarkdale" if it's snowing. If you go up from Clarkdale, you are in fact going up 89A and over Mingus Mountain.

Edited: 8:56 am, December 23, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road from Prescott to Jerome

By the way, the alternate route RedRox is referring to is as follows:

Hwy 69 from Prescott

Hwy 169 (aka Cherry Road) towards I-17

I-17 to Camp Verde

Hwy 260 to Cottonwood

Hwy 89A towards Jerome

indiana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road from Prescott to Jerome

Thanks for all the info and advice. I had told my friend she may have to come back to I-17 and go to Sedona/Jerome that way. I had driven between Prescott and Jerome a few years ago and knew it had switchbacks and was narrow. I also thought it went thru a 'pass' not far from Jerome and that was the area I was concerned about. She was wanting to stay in Prescott for a night, do the drive up thru Jerome and then finish the trip with a couple of nights in Sedona. I'll be sure to tell her to check road conditions in Prescott and then take the route that is safest. Thanks again for all the help.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,858 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road from Prescott to Jerome

Just to clarify and update a few things.

We woke up this morning with 2-3 inches of snow on the ground in Sedona. There's probably twice that or more on Mingus Mtn, so i would expect the road to be closed today at the very least. Probably will be for a few days.

Prescottbubba is correct about approaching Jerome from Clarkdale. When you take 260 to 89A through Cottonwood, you go from Cottonwood to Clarkdale and then up to Jerome. If you take historic 89A thrould old town Cottonwood you follow that through the town square and business district in Clarkdale. Most folks bypass that route although it is more charming and takes you right by Tuzigoot and close to the VVRR train station.

That's the route that I took yesterday when I went to Jerome for lunch at Haunted Hamburger followed by a walk through the Goldmine Ghost Town... Always a fun event.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road from Prescott to Jerome

RedRox - I know that you come up to Jerome from Clarkdale on 89A. I realized later what Bubba was trying to say, it just wasn't very clear IMHO. ;) Hence, the detailed directions that I gave on the alternate Prescott/Camp Verde/Cottonwood/Jerome route.

Hikes, I hope your friend has a fun and safe trip - it sounds like she will get to see a little bit of everything, and I'm glad she's stopping in Sedona, too.

indiana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road from Prescott to Jerome

Thanks again to everyone. There have been a few changes to the original schedule. I told my friend since she has never been to the Grand Canyon, and may not return to this area, I thought it would be a shame not to see it. I know a day can't do it justice, but it is better than never seeing it. So the plan is as follows, one night Prescott, two Sedona and then go to Grand Canyon and return and stay at Flagstaff. She wants to stay in Flagstaff due to free hotel, instead of paying for a room in the park. She has no plans for hiking, just the stops at overlooks and maybe lunch at El Tovar. Then return for a night in Phoenix before the flight home. Based on this short time frame, any suggestions for activities would be appreciated. I suggested a pink jeep tour in Sedona but she has read about a train ride. Anyone familiar with this? Also any suggestions for any of the other towns, restaurants, local sites, etc. RedRox, I told her about the hamburger place where you had lunch. Thanks again.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,858 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road from Prescott to Jerome

The train ride is the Verde Canyon RR out of Clarkdale. While scenic, it is not Sedona and it requires a half day that would be better spent in Sedona IMO. Do the jeep tour instead. Much better investment of time and vacation money.

Don't forget a visit to the Chapel of the Holy Cross.

Get answers to your questions about Jerome