We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wig Wam Motel still open?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Topic
Wig Wam Motel still open?

Couldn't find its Web site, assuming it has one, just third party sites and reviews, most rather old. Thought of staying there on our way from Scottsdale to Canyon de Chelly, since we likely won't leave Scottsdale until early-to-mid afternoon, and would like to stop at Petrified Forest N.P. Could stay in Show Low. A bit of a detour, but is the area nicer? Not sure how much the history and kitsch of WigWam would appeal to my wife.

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Show Low
Show Low
Arizona
Wigwam Motel
Wigwam Motel
995 Reviews
Holbrook, AZ
26 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wig Wam Motel still open?

Not sure, but check their website:

http://www.galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam/

The scenery around Show Low is much better than around Holbrook.

Edited: 2:37 pm, December 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Show Low
Show Low
Arizona
Holbrook
Holbrook
Arizona
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,893 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wig Wam Motel still open?

If Wigwam Motel is too rustic...check out La Posada Hotel in Winslow, 1/2 hour west of Holbrook. Wonderful rooms, great restaurant and worth a night! http://www.laposada.org/

Mentioned in this post
Wigwam Motel
Wigwam Motel
995 Reviews
Holbrook, AZ
La Posada Hotel
La Posada Hotel
1,973 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Winslow
Winslow
Arizona
Holbrook
Holbrook
Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wig Wam Motel still open?

Since you come from the Bay Area, you might find a night in Showlow a bit gritty for your tastes. I suggest you look to Pinetop/Lakeside just up the road for nice rooms and dining.

Take the road via Globe for some great scenery and stops. You will drive right past the Superstition Mountains of Lost Dutchman Gold Mine fame. Next you will have a spectacular view of the entire valley as you ascend to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31372-d12…

A stop at the El Ray in Globe is worth it for the Mexican food and the time travel back to the Fifty's.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g31232-d21…

Next you will encounter Mr. Toad's Wild Ride as you go down and up the Salt River Canyon. All sights worth seeing on your way to CdC.

Happy Trails!!!

Edited: 7:04 pm, December 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wig Wam Motel still open?

We stayed WigWam and also La Posada and no way to compare. Winslow and Holbrook won't win a beauty contest but La Posada is unique and fantastic food. I agree to stay Pinetop instead Show Low.

There are 3 WigWam motels left in the USA. We found the one in Rialto best. The 3rd one is in Cave City KY. Very basic and not on your way at all ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Wigwam Motel
Wigwam Motel
995 Reviews
Holbrook, AZ
La Posada Hotel
La Posada Hotel
1,973 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Winslow
Winslow
Arizona
Holbrook
Holbrook
Arizona
Show Low
Show Low
Arizona
United States
United States
North America
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wig Wam Motel still open?

If you don't think your wife will like Wigwam then definitely check out LaPosada in Winslow. She will love that.

Mentioned in this post
Wigwam Motel
Wigwam Motel
995 Reviews
Holbrook, AZ
Winslow
Winslow
Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wig Wam Motel still open?

Other than a picture of you "Standing on the Corner in Winslow, AZ' and a picture of the tee-pees, there is little to nothing to do in either Winslow or Holbrook. Sure the La Posada is a nice (okay) hotel. Is it worth spending a night in the town? No.

If you take that route you will be much better off staying in Flagstaff, a very historic town with many old buildings, the museum and planetarium, and many excellent restaurants and night spots. From there you could stop at Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert on the way to CdC.

However, I stand by my recommendation for the much more scenic and varied route via Globe.

Mentioned in this post
Winslow
Winslow
Arizona
Holbrook
Holbrook
Arizona
La Posada Hotel
La Posada Hotel
1,973 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Meteor Crater
Meteor Crater
3,016 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Painted Desert
Painted Desert
2,238 Reviews
Petrified Forest National Park, AZ
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wig Wam Motel still open?

With a "Afternoon" start You might limit travel to Globe ... As it is largely mtn. Highway drive into Show Low . Motorists frequently encounter large animals on the highway . Too often not to mutual benefit ... carracar

Mentioned in this post
Show Low
Show Low
Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wig Wam Motel still open?

I wouldn't attempt an afternoon start for either of these routes. Sometimes people underestimate the distances involved. Never seen any large animals on the Globe route until getting up on the "the Rim." And then only far away from the towns which are just above the Rim. There can be elk, etc. south of Flagstaff, but I doubt anyone will see game until well after Showlow. And the word "frequently" really shouldn't be used. As any game hunter will tell you, they are hard to find. Those guys hike miles through the snow and camp out far from the roads to track the animals. On rare occasions the game will wander down to the roads, but it is certainly not frequent. Not to say don't be aware but don't expect to see wildlife every couple of miles.

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wig Wam Motel still open?

We're not from the Bay Area (me from L.A., my wife from Sao Luis, Brazil) and have been to some gritty places (e.g., Death Valley Junction and Lee Vining, CA). I'm still not sure about the WigWam but, to my surprise, my wife seems intrigued by the photos I showed her (did not include the parking lot and cats outside each unit, which could mean noise). La Pousada looks quite nice. It would be for just one night. Next morning we'd push on to Petrified Forest and Chinle (Canyon de Chelly) for 2-3 nights, then Page, Zion (she wants to stay 4-5 nights; loves the place) and Las Vegas, before heading to L.A. (visit relatives, and fly back to Brazil).

Main interest is a place to stop along the way and have dinner and a comfortable night's sleep. I didn't want to try to drive all the way to Chinle if leaving Scottsdale in early afternoon (her conference ends at noon and we'll want lunch). If we stop at that corner in Winslow, Arizona, I doubt I'll see a girl in a flatbed Ford slowing down to take a look at me.

Edited: 1:57 pm, December 28, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,893 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wig Wam Motel still open?

The Wigwam Motel is right along the railroad tracks with many trains going by all night and very loud, much louder than any cats outside!!, lol Not sure about a good nights sleep and a good meal!

One nice thing about La Posada in Winslow is that the noise from the trains is less, especially with the rooms facing away from the tracks. The Turquoise Room at La Posada is a wonderful restaurant so much better than anything in Holbrook! Yes, not much in Winslow to do, but the hotel is a good stopping point. Just north of town is Homolovi State Park with a few ancient Hopi structures.

Mentioned in this post
Wigwam Motel
Wigwam Motel
995 Reviews
Holbrook, AZ
La Posada Hotel
La Posada Hotel
1,973 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Winslow
Winslow
Arizona