We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train noise

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
57 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Train noise

We are planning to stay in Holbrook in September at the Globtrotter. We have now realised it is close to the railway and we are light sleepers. We are now thinking of either the Travelodge which has better reviews but probably lower expectations or the Best Western. Any suggestions please.

Thank you

12 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train noise

We have found the Super 8 in Holbrook one of their best, but simple, franchises...On the hill over... but well away from the free way and yes, rail noise... Happy trails... carracar

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
833 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train noise

Anything close to the railroad tracks and you will indeed hear the trains when they come through. What often takes visitors from outside the country unprepared is that the trains blow their horns when they pass through towns to alert people to stay clear of the tracks. The BNSF track is right across the wash our house is on and often the train passes at 2 a.m. - and everybody but the totally deaf know it.

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
57 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train noise

Hi

Thanks so much for your replies, very helpful. I expect we will change hotel. We can't believe we wouldn't be disturbed by trains. What I don't understand is when I read the trip advisor reviews, only one review mentions train noise and I have emailed two people who have stayed in the hotel and they both say, despite being light sleepers were not disturbed by train noise??

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train noise

Ear plugs, are the only alternative... The railroad is a main AMTRAK and freight line... At times there are long unit trains every 20-30 min... They slow but little as they pass through town... One may notice, the "Wigwam" across the road has abandoned a block of units, in the rear, that are trackside ... carracar

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
833 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train noise

Maybe they don't pass every night on that line. This is what it sounds like:

tripadvisor.com/ProfileGallery-i39837027.html

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train noise

Speaking of the Wigwam, my family and I stayed there a couple years ago when staying in Holbrook. I have to say, that we slept without a problem. I'm not sure where in town they blare the train horn, but it wasn't around the Wigwam. In fact, the only time I noticed the train was when we were all getting ready for bed and I heard a low hum. It took me a minute to realize it was the train coming through! With that said, if your hotel is near a location where the road crosses over the tracks, the horn will be blown. My suggestion if you don't really want to change hotels is request a room on the other side of the building from the train tracks. Since you contacted two people who have stayed in the same hotel and both stated they didn't notice the train, it probably isn't a big issue. Like Esty666 stated, if was near where they blow the horn, everyone in the place would know it. I think you'd be fine where you're at.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
730 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train noise

Different town but same track (I believe).... a month ago we stayed at La Posada in Winslow..... it is right beside the tracks... and were not bothered by the trains at all, only time we even noticed them was when in the restaurant which faces the tracks and then they were barely noticeable.

conn
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train noise

earplugs work wonders.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train noise

We have stayed Winslow and Holbrook several times and the trains never bothered us. They don't make that much noise anymore and in towns like Flagstaff its even restricted to blow the horns. A good example is Winslow at La Posada indeed. It's right at the tracks but not a single problem.

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train noise

Get a life already..... your on vacation,,,not the end of the world????? live it with it for one night..stayed at Wigwam no problem at all...but maybe others needed earplugs.........

Reply to: Train noise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted