We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Gazing

5 posts
Save Topic
Star Gazing

We are heading to Glendale for a few days in November. Most of what I read states that Sedona is the place to go for star gazing. Being only 2 hours away, will we notice a big difference going there vs. Staying in the Glendale area? Essentially, is it worth driving out to sedona for an evening and planning to drive back at night after enjoying the stars there for a bit. Thanks a lot

Mentioned in this post
Glendale
Glendale
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
11 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star Gazing

Because of light pollution and light domes there is no advantage to star gaze in the Phoenix area. Sedona does have dark sky. Between Sedona and Village of Oak Creek at the Courthouse Vista parking lot is a good place to stargaze. You should spend the night in Sedona or Village of Oak Creek to enjoy Sunset, stargazing and Sunrise and not drive back at night towards Glendale.

What are your dates in November for the trip? The illumination of the moon influences what stars you can see at night.

Edited: 10:54 am, June 08, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Glendale
Glendale
Central Arizona, AZ
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Star Gazing

Thank you very much for the response. We will be there from the 15th to the 21st. The plan was to go to sedona on the 19th which from what I can see should be a decent night in terms of lack of moonlight. If we did go to sedona, we would make a day of it but would definately drive back to glendale after checking out the stars for a bit

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,394 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star Gazing

Driving back to Glendale late at night in complete darkness, at the end of a long day is strongly discouraged.

Mentioned in this post
Glendale
Glendale
Central Arizona, AZ
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Star Gazing

Thanks for the response. Is this a matter of being tired or of the roads being unsafe in the dark?

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Star Gazing

Getting use to this forum and doing more research I can see other info about driving at night and that theres a lot of animals. I assume that's the big issue.

Is there still a decent view of stars somewhere close to the glendale area that is considered ok to drive at night?

Edited: 2:48 pm, June 08, 2018
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,394 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Star Gazing

The lack of good stargazing at Glendale or anywhere near Phoenix is because of all the ambient light. You need to get far away where there’s no ambient light. It can reflect off the sky for hundreds of miles.

Sedona and Flagstaff are great places for night skies because in addition to being remote, they have city ordinances that control light sources that could create ambient light. That means no streetlights. No bright signs. Darkness beyond what you or your brain are used to.

If you’re serious about experiencing night skies at Sedona, plan to be here all night long.

Mentioned in this post
Glendale
Glendale
Central Arizona, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Star Gazing

Google the West Valley Astronomy Club - there is a contact form if you scroll down.

Delaware
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Star Gazing

Hi RedRox, we will be visiting Scottsdale at the end of December for a few days. We are going to the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale but planned on taking a day trip to Sedona and staying until dark to star gaze. We will not be spending the night and will travel back to Scottsdale. Can you please clarify why driving back at night is not recommended?

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Glendale
Glendale
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,394 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Star Gazing

It’s been posted hundreds of times in these forums. Driving after dark in this region is strongly discouraged. Darkness is darker than your eyes and your brain are used to. You cannot imagine or comprehend it. That’s why star gazing here is so much better. There is no street lighting. No visible signage. Wildlife abounds. A wide variety of critters take over the highways at dusk. Deer, elk, raccoons, coyotes, skunks, possums and other creatures that are anxious to spoil your vacation will suddenly appear as if from nowhere.

If you want to experience night skies at Sedona, book a room and stay overnight.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Star Gazing

Thanks all for the information and help. I believe we are going to play it by ear when we are there. The night of november 19 would be the night we can go from glendale and if it seems like it would be a good night to have a clear view of the stars we will probably book a second hotel in sedona for that night and stay there.

I know it's more of an appropriate question for the sedona forum and I will probably post it closer to our travel date but are there any hotels that have a decent outdoor lounge or room balcony that would be great for relaxing and seeing the stars? I totally get that rthe besrt possible viewing would be from the outskirts of town but we would love to be able to relax, have a few drinks and just enjoy.

Thanks again

Reply to: Star Gazing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;