We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing

I will be visiting in-laws in Wasilla for a couple of weeks at the end of July and would like to do some non-guided salmon fishing while I am there. Any information is appreciated.

Lower48
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

Willow Creek is just north of Wasilla and is a popular spot, especially at the mouth (where it meets the Susitna). There is a state recreation area there with parking and easy stream access. Be certain to check the regulations first, which are online on the DNR site. In that time frame, there will be salmon running. I think the silvers come in later than that, but I'm no expert.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

One of the best fishing in the area you will encounter in the susitna river,about 20 miles heading north toward Houston, and Fairbank...

A very beatifull drive take you camera for amaizing pictures, You will be seing a lot of Moose.

is a good river for Kings salmon, and silver..Also in big lake there is good trout fishing and occasional dolly varden. You can get a fishing licence at Walt Mart Along with the regulation for fishing the area...

Alaska
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

Check out the Alaska Deptartment of Fish and Game web site

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/

This is one of the publications you will find there that is very helpful

…state.ak.us/Static/…MatSuKingSalmon.pdf

When you stop in at one of the tackle shops to buy you license and gear (somewhere not walmart) they should be able to give you some advice as well.

Good luck, don't forget the bug dope!

4. Re: Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:00 am, October 27, 2009