We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

campground suggestions

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
campground suggestions

Hello!

We have spent the past few summers camping on the Kenai, but we are considering a trip to Valdez this June. I haven't been to Valdez for several years, and have never camped in the area. I would like some recommendations for campgrounds - we have a small 5th wheel.

Also, any good local restaurants for that occasional meal out?

Thanks for your help!

Anchorage, Alaska
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: campground suggestions

Camping around Valdez is actually pretty limited. There is a city camp ground on the edge of town right by the airport but it is really no frills place. No hook ups, etc. It is heavily wooded and pretty except for the bugs. :) If you dont care about hook ups I would recommend that. There are a lot of pull through spots that can fit your 5th wheel. A bit more outside of Valdez (about 40 minutes I think) is a state campground by the waterfalls. I think it is called Blueberry lake but it only has like 6 spots and every time we try it is full. My husband grew up in valdez and likes to go there just about every summer. We usually drive into town early in the morning, and drive back out in the evening and find a state campground about an hour or two out of Valdez. Valdez itself if wonderful but the camping around there has pretty much just turned into RV parking lots.

Chicago
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: campground suggestions

Hey Coalminer, was searching for RV travel ideas and saw this old post from you concerning Valdez. Did you end up going there last summer? Was considering drive in RV from Denali on 8 to 4 then down to Valdez.

We enjoyed Denali and Kenai last year, doing again this year and adding a few days to stop somewhere new. (plan on about 12 days in RV).

Your thoughts? Also considered day trips to cordova, seldovia or to Brooks in Katmai NP to see bears

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: campground suggestions

Hi Otto! Actually, we ended up back on the Kenai for 2 weeks - simply because it was easier and the salmon would be running. :) I know lots of people do Seldovia for a day and love it there. Haven't been to any that you mentioned, though would love to - sometimes it's better to be a tourist than a resident, as you actually get to see more that way! Sounds like you have another great trip planned. :)

seattle, wa
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: campground suggestions

Here in Valdez right now. We found the Eagle's Rest is too noisy but has a store/laundramat and that was nice. I would stay at Bear Paw next time. Quieter and right by waterfront. Here we are by the gas station which is VERY NOISY and its crowded.

Eating? Great Chinese Fu Kung

Mexican: Ernestos

Pizza: Mike's

Seafood, Breakfast: Totem

fish n chips: Halibut House

See earthquake video at Anne's Sugar & Spice, halibut fishing through Fish Central's Captain Karl and Stan Stephens Glacier cruise all day, not short one.

Have FUN

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: campground suggestions

i8tatonka: Thanks for the info - I will make a note of the campgrounds for whenever we finally decide to make a camping trip to Valdez. Hope you are having a great time! :)

6. Re: campground suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, August 13, 2009