We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takaoka visit in February

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Takaoka visit in February

We have 10 days in Japan at the end of February 2009.

Advice would be appreciated on..

1. Getting from Tokyo to Takaoka. Which railway station to use for this trip, and maybe help with a decent hotel near the station?

2.Accommodation in Takaoka for a week. Clean (not old) and near transport would be top of the list.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Zuiryuji Temple
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Amaharashi Coast
Beaches, Marinas, Bodies of Water
Takaoka Daibutsu Buddha
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takaoka visit in February

Do you mean Takaoka in Toyama prefecture? Or another Takaoka?

Mentioned in this post
Toyama
Toyama
Toyama Prefecture, Japan
Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takaoka visit in February

Yes, sorry, I should have been more specific. I wasn't aware of another Takaoka in Japan. Takaoka, Toyama prefecture is the area where my son has just started working.

Mentioned in this post
Toyama
Toyama
Toyama Prefecture, Japan
Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Takaoka visit in February

Takaoka is a rather non descript town with little in the way of sightseeing or recreation right there. It has a large Aeon shopping center that is its most recent claim to fame (about 8 years ago, though) But, it has great access to Kanazawa, Shirakawa-go and Takayama, which could easily fill your time nicely.

Use www.hyperdia.com and you use TAKAOKA as the desination station.

There aren't really any special hotels in Takaoka save for the business hotels. If you are set to stay there, a business hotel or a minshuku/ryokan. A google search will give you some options. There is a SuperHotel and a New Otani, but I've never stayed anywhere in Takaoka so can't really recommend any one over another.

Your son should be able to find a place for you to stay that meets your requirements by just walking around the station area and looking.

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Takaoka visit in February

Thanks for the advice. I checked the hyperdia rail site and find that Kanazawa is only 26 minutes from Takaoka. Would it be a better option to stay at Kanazawa, as it is a bigger city with more to offer?

Any suggestions of good/clean hotels near railway station? (Am busy googling both places for more information.)

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Takaoka visit in February

If your son will be working while you visit, I would certainly stay in Kanazawa.

In Kanazawa, the station area is not the best for sightseeing. The Kohrimbo/Katamachi area is a better area to stay for access to sights. You can easily take a bus or taxi to the station when you need to go there.

In the station area, there are lots of business hotels, which means small rooms and no facilities. Route Inn is new so probably nice enough. There is also a fairly new Toyoko Inn. The ANA Intercontinental is not special, but it has the best station location and some in house restaurants and English speaking staff. The ANA Intercontinental does a special deal on room rates for locals that perhaps you son could book...not sure. At any rate, theri rates in Japanese are far below their rates in English or any booking sites, which is pretty often the case with hotels here.

In the Kohrimbo/Katamachi area there is a brand new Toyoko Inn...small rooms, no facilities, but great location and cheap. There is the APA Chuo that is also very cheap (like around ¥6000 a night for a single) and is also in a great location, but has miniscule rooms. The nicest downtown hotel is the Excel Tokyu, and its rooms are good sized, and nice provided you do not book a standard/entry level/cheapest room which may not be renovated. Tokyu has restaurants, English speaking staff and a STarbucks on the first floor and a great location. Should price well below ¥20,000/night with breakfast for a single.

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Takaoka visit in February

Thanks Fish2. You are a great source of knowledge! I will get my son to work on your suggestions, too.

I found an APA Villa Hotel near Kanazawa station area. It looked like it had bigger rooms called semi suites.

There are no TA reviews on this hotel.

lynpa

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Takaoka visit in February

The APA Villa Kanazawa is in Katamachi, almost across from the APA Chuo, not so near the station, but not farther than other Kohrimbo/Katamachi hotels. It does have bigger rooms, yes. It is old, though, and since you don't want old it may not suit you. It is also less hotel like than the APA Chuo in that it is in a building/row of buildings that house hostess bars and restaurants and has no ground floor lobby area that I have ever seen. Get a deluxe twin room at the APA Chuo for single use and you'll have enough space.

8. Re: Takaoka visit in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Takaoka