We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dugongs and Turtles

Which Marsa Alam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
946 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Dugongs and Turtles

Hi

Is there a specific time of year that is better for seeing Dugongs and Turtles?

Is it possible to dive or snorkel with them and which hotel or area is best located for these sightings?

Would love a chance to swim with a Dugong :)

S

south wales
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dugongs and Turtles

I was in marsa alam end of august beginning of sept last year and saw plenty of turtles and a dugong, i was one of the lucky ones. it was in marsa mubarack bay which is well known for turtles.The dugong moves from area to area so its the luck of the draw unfortunatley.It was late afternoon that i saw him and there was only me and the guy off the boat in the whole of the bay.Hope if you go looking you will find him. Goodluck.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dugongs and Turtles

As the above poster says it is luck of the draw , there used to be a resident one in abu dabab but it was a victim of its popularity and moved out. Turtles are regularly seen abu dabab marsa Mubarack and on some of the house reefs of hotels like coraya/lamaya , Resta reef/grand, moreen , brayka bay/royal.

Seen the dugong twice different times of year in different place whilst diving.

However friend did see one recently when on a trip with Oceans Red Sea earlier this year , your best bet is talk to the dive school at whichever hotel you chose.

Sg

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dugongs and Turtles

The hotel next to the cove at Marsa Mubarak is the three corners fayrouz plaza. They have a very good house reef of their own too. You can walk to the cove or take a camel (Oscar will wait for you too) we only saw giant turtles while we were there but I understand the dugong is now seen there from time to time.

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dugongs and Turtles

Hi it's Luke from Emperor Divers Marsa Alam and Oceans Red Sea Marsa Alam . Actually there is a dugong - aptly named Dyson (if you ever see him feeding you'll know why...) resident in Marsa Mubarak (aka Marsa Imbarak & Umm el Roos). Through experience, if you want to see a dugong here around Ghalib you need a combination of 1. time (the more hours you commit to finding him the greater chance of success) 2. local knowledge 3. luck and 4. a boat (there are some shore dives further south where dugongs are seen and occasional sightings in Abu Dabab. While Mubarak is possible to access by shore, it is a huge bay and so you really only cover a small part if you don't have a boat)

Dyson is an amazing animal, and diving and snorkeling with him can be fantastic. It can also be a bit traumatic, as if he is seen by the mass snorkel trip market then there can be scenes which are quite upsetting as small boats zip along and dump scores of snorkelers right on top of him as he tries to escape the throng. Some of the more responsible operators are pushing for legislation and a code of conduct but change can be slow.

So really you have to think about how much you would like to see him and how you would like the encounter to be. If you want to chance it you can join any number of snorkel trips operating out of Ghalib and hope that he gets spotted by your boat but not all. If you want to try and guarantee a more exclusive encounter and can commit the time and a bit more money you could look at either private guiding options (snorkeling or diving) or something like the PADI Dugong speciality. Let me know either here or by Private Message if you want some detail.

All the best,

Luke.

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dugongs and Turtles

There are plenty of turtles in most of the bays around Marsa Alam .

Abu Dabbab bay where the Hilton and Sol Y Mar Abu Dabbab hotels are located has resident Green Turtles very easily seen every time you go in the water .

Also I Have seen Dennis the Dugong here a few times years ago ,but recently one has been seen again in the bay .

We did the trip with Luke in December and were lucky enough to find Dyson at Marsa Mubarak . Highly recommend their trips . Very good crew and respectfull to the marine life .

Andy

6. Re: Dugongs and Turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:09 pm, September 19, 2013
Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dugongs and Turtles

Jens it really isn't a good idea o post your Email address in an open forum. If you want to contact Luke at Emperor Divers, I suggest you either PM him, or email Emperor at Marsa Alam directly.

Edited: 7:13 am, September 18, 2013
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dugongs and Turtles

If you go to Lahami Bay Resort you will see turtles all the time - they live on the semi-circular house reef. I saw a dugong last year eating the sea grass and it swam around me for about ten minutes. Other guests saw one with its baby last year. You have to book the hotel through diving websites in UK or indepentently.

It's lovely with lots of reef sharks and rays too.

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dugongs and Turtles

Hi Jens, if you're in resort now give me a call. I've sent my number to you in private message, you should be able to call for free from hotel reception.

Many thanks,

Luke.

10. Re: Dugongs and Turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 20, 2014