We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving at the end of October

Which Marsa Alam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
190 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Diving at the end of October

Does anyone know roughly what the water temperature is at this time of year. We dived at Taba Heights in May this year and needed 8mm (5 + 3) wetsuits and were still cold!!

Also, we've booked a 3 day dive package with Longwood and believe we'll be using Emperor Dive School, as we all dived in May; will we be required to pay extra for a check dive?

Cheers for any help, it will be appreciated.

PB

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving at the end of October

It sounds like you feel the cold as I manage in a 3 mm in March when the water is about 24°C + doing 2 to 3 dives aday

I would suggest you take both as you can always take one off if too hot or may be invest in a 5mm semi dry also maybe take a hood / scap and gloves, Maybe an additonal rash vest, although some dive operators dont like gloves in the red sea.

Emperor have their own website below and Luke who is the school manager is on here often so you could pm him.

www.emperordivers.com/marsa-alam-diving.php

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,396 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving at the end of October

The check dive shouldn't be extra and should be part of your first dive, clear mask, remove regulator takes just a minute, at least that is what is is with Coraya Divers which are located at the Madinat Coraya 10 minutes from RMF airport.

Water temp. is expected to be 27 - 28°C near the shore, I was diving with a 4 mm short early October last year in the Quseir area reading from my dive computer, sea 29°C , air 28°C. May is colder and you should be fine with a 5 mm long . This year in May sea temp. was 24°C in Makadi Bay, air 26°C.

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving at the end of October

Hi PB it's Luke from Emperor Divers, I won't comment on what Coraya's policies are as different operators are inclined to have different standards, and as you're not diving with them it's quite irrelevant anyway ;)

We check certifications and logbooks as a matter of course, and as long as you prove your certification and the fact you have dived (or taken a refresher) within the past 12 months we will not require you to do any kind of check dive (ie skills). We will of course make sure your first dive is in a sheltered, protected area where you'll get ample time to do a bouyancy check and start off nice and chilled. We think that's a more individual and common sense approach.

Water temp. will be 27oC +/- 1. It will be warmer than May anyway, and you are further South so that also adds a degree or 2, and the air is usually warmer still, so I think 8mm will be overkill unless you severely feel the cold. 5mm should do fine, with a hood toasty! We discourage gloves but they are not banned, so long as they are used for medical or severe thermal reasons and not to touch any of our wonderful creatures!

Hope that helps, let me know if I can be of any more assistance,

Luke.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
190 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving at the end of October

Cheers guys and Luke in particular.

All sounds good to me and music to my ears that the water will be warmer! I must have thin blood as I even needed a full wet suit in The Maldives but I am getting on a bit (lol). I never wear gloves as I am an avid photographer and doubt I could operate the camera with them.

Water temperature in back in May was around 21/22 and even 'hardened divers' found the brass monkeys on all the dives!

We will be a group of 4 (all AOW) with around 130/150 dives each and are really looking forward to diving in a new location. It sounds totally awesome and if we get to see a Dugong I will be one very happy old lady! Don't suppose there's any chance of Whale Sharks????? I don't want much, do I?

Thanks so much all of you. ;-)

PB

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving at the end of October

Hi PB,

Whale Sharks.....hmmm, doubtful. I've seen 3 in a little over 2 years here so while it's possible I wouldn't expect it! We do have a resident Dugong who we call Dyson, and he is quite often seen depending on the dive site, but you do need a bit of luck too as he inhabits large bays (which is actually good news, as he is quite a peace loving animal and wouldn't tolerate ever present divers and snorkelers). I hope you get to see him though, he's a wonderful creature, come and chat to me when you get here and I'll tell you a bit more about him.

Cheers,

Luke.

6. Re: Diving at the end of October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 23, 2012