We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Black Henna Tattoos

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Black Henna Tattoos

We returned from a fantastic holiday to the Iberotel lamaya 2 weeks ago. Absolutely great holiday with no problems whatsoever.

Gigo the chap on the beach who did the henna tattoos was lovely and my sons both had a design on their arm plus their name in arabic on our 2nd day. ( I had my name in arabic done for free on my wrist - it was great as all the waiters knew my name). Gigo said that the tattoo would last 2 weeks, so to go back on our last day and he would re-apply it for free. We did this the day before we came home and all was great. After about 2 days at home the tatoos both started to itch, become red and inflaimed. The boys were in great discomfort and we had to get an emergency appt with our GP. 2 weeks on and they are still red, inflaimed and itchy after antihistamines daily. I have since read on the internet that black henna is banned in many countries and that it has harmful chemicals that potentially will cause allergic reactions to certain dyes, medicines etc for life. DONT have it done, however tempting OR look up the facts about the harm from black henna tattoos BEFORE you go. The scar can take up to a year to go and some people have been scarred for life.

The Thompson rep told us about the dangers of the water, not to book trips with the people along the beach as their mini-buses wouldn't be insured etc, to wash hands after handling money. I think they should also warn about the tattoos.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware Black Henna Tattoos

Just to add to the above warning......

Great care should also be taken if you use hair colourants and also have Henna Tattoos as this too can cause a serious reaction. Some hair colour boxes do warn of it but perhaps not many really read all the information, especilly if it's a brand/colour you've been using for a long time.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,221 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware Black Henna Tattoos

Hi,

We have ahd a few cases reported on the Sharm forum & the Tips thread at the top of the forum carries a warning.

Have also read about people having problems with them in Tunisia.

Regards

Batley, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware Black Henna Tattoos

Its also a problem in some parts of Goa, I have been asked many times, but always refuse had already read about "Black Henna" tattoos a good few years ago. Don't think you can expect the rep to be able to tell you about this, she would only have the info the Company gave her. The best reps used to be Thos. Cooke, but they pulled out.

Newhaven, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware Black Henna Tattoos

I had a henna tattoo done in 2008 in Sharm on my foot on the last day of our holiday. It was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately 2 weeks later my foot and ankle was a red, itchy inflamed mess. The henna had gone but the scarring lasted for weeks. Previously I had regularly dyed my hair all different colours but since the henna tattoo reaction I have now developed an allergy to hair dye. Whilst the tattoos look beautiful they can leave you with a lifetime of discomfort.

I have been told that the one a day antihistamines can be taken up to 3 times a day if that helps - and you could try calamine lotion instead of hydro cortisone.

5. Re: Beware Black Henna Tattoos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, October 29, 2010