We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rangiroa vs Tikehau (stayin in pensions) best snorkeling?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Rangiroa vs Tikehau (stayin in pensions) best snorkeling?

Can anyone help decide which island would be the best to visit if you had to choose one for snorkeling and staying in a pension - Rangiroa or Tikehau?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks a ton.

London
Level Contributor
885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rangiroa vs Tikehau (stayin in pensions) best snorkeling?

Thanks again Shully, I am ok in still water ( eg. Swimming pool) but just did not like to swim against some average current,,, very tiring...

I got the idea now, and actually enjoyed the drift snorkeling in Maldives previously...but surely will do a bit of training before that...

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
81 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rangiroa vs Tikehau (stayin in pensions) best snorkeling?

We loved our drift snorkle--you go when the tide is coming in to the lagoon. My husband & I jumped in with our guide and he held both our wrists-he was in the middle. After a while he let my husband go alone and I stayed with him! It was great and not that scary--hope you like seeing sharks swimming 30 feet below you! We are somewhat fit and in our 50s.

London
Level Contributor
885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rangiroa vs Tikehau (stayin in pensions) best snorkeling?

Oh which company did you go with? Sounds very nice!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
81 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rangiroa vs Tikehau (stayin in pensions) best snorkeling?

I honestly couldn't tell you. Our hotel there the Kia Ora or our agent -Laurel with True Tahiti vacations set it up. They messed up the time and we ended up going alone with this guy who stopped in the village and picked up his "boat guy" to drive the motorized dingy for us. They were nice and competent and the van he drove just said drift snorkeling on it.....

It could've been thought of as a huge mistake but for us it ended up being a private custom personal experience--wonderful! Just find a dive operator or ask for a recommendation when you get there and just DO IT!

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rangiroa vs Tikehau (stayin in pensions) best snorkeling?

Hello, I have a question about drift snorkeling in Tiputa pass. When drifting through the pass with the inside current without any guiding boat, is it possible to get to the shore by swimming or will I end up somewhere in the middle of the lagoon ? ( I am quite good swimmer and snorkler).

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
81 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rangiroa vs Tikehau (stayin in pensions) best snorkeling?

I would not recommend that. The current is strong and when it changes to go back out to sea you will be at it's mercy. I didn't really think the shore was that close or accessible--no beach area. The water is churning and the waves are constant--it is not smooth water. Having said that--it you wear a vest and look at it first and decide based on you own swimming ability--that would be your call. Good Luck!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rangiroa vs Tikehau (stayin in pensions) best snorkeling?

Hi hi,

I stongly advise against swimming/snorkeling in the Tiputa Pass without a boat/guide. As mentioned above, the current is strong. It is dangerous to swim on your own in this pass.

sunny regards,

shully

Edited: 10:40 am, March 06, 2013
18. Re: Rangiroa vs Tikehau (stayin in pensions) best snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 08, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rangiroa