We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best to book the vacation alone or use a travel agency?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
104 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Best to book the vacation alone or use a travel agency?

Hi all, i am in the midst of planning my first year surprise wedding anniversary for my wife. I have a couple of questions though. I am currently thinking of spending 4 days 3 nights at Hilton Moorea and 5 days 4 nights at St Regis in Bora Bora. Is it wise to arrange this on my own or do its cheaper to book it through a travel agency like pacific for less for example? I have been seeing alot of their adverts in tripadvisor so i was wondering which is a cheaper option?

Currently, based on prices for Mid May 2015, the total cost of accomodation only for both Hilton Moorrea (4 days 3 nights, regular overwater bungalows), and St Regis Bora Bora (5 days 4 nights, regular overwater bungalow), the total cost is approximately USD $7800 / SGD 9700. This cost excludes air fares, spending money, recreational activities, just strictly accomodation costs for both mentioned above. Is this value a reasonable value? or is it too high or is it extremely good value?

Thank you for reading my post.

Kind regards

Adrian

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
104 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best to book the vacation alone or use a travel agency?

I just realised i typed wrongly, its USD $55 / 5000XPF for breakfast per person per day at the St Regis.

Indiana
Level Contributor
784 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best to book the vacation alone or use a travel agency?

Volvoc.

First, read the reviews. I suggest IC Thalasso over St. Regis.

Second, I had the same thoughts as you about food prices. We ended up buying the full meal plan (sans the lunch) and glad we did. Why? ... We took the mental and wallet hit long before our vacation. We never worried about the expensive food on vacation. Bora Bora is so darn expensive, you have to figure out 'how to forget about the prices.' Pay in advance and enjoy your stay on the island. If you plan to visit the non-resort restaurants, you may simply buy the breakfast in advance.

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
416 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best to book the vacation alone or use a travel agency?

Profguy - as I am looking at the same hotels (and had also chosen St Regis) can you let us know why you personally would recommend the IC Thalasso over it?

Indiana
Level Contributor
784 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best to book the vacation alone or use a travel agency?

We were originally booked at the St. Regis, but got moved due to weather damage. Once there, I spoke to locals and learned some important items that made me think the move was GREAT. This is my summary.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g311415-i869-k3512…

I look for consistent themes among negative reviews. The St. Regis reviews are outstanding, but the complaints are consistently the same.

Our IC Thalasso experience was amazing. This is my review. Feel free to send a PM or ask questions here.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

15. Re: Best to book the vacation alone or use a travel agency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 11, 2015