We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

Hi! Looking for some advice... considering Bora Bora for a honeymoon; ideally we'd spend 10 days in FP; 5 in Bora Bora and 5 on another island. Timeframe is end of Aug/Early Sept.

What other island or atoll would you recommend? Or should we look at Tahiti?

We're looking for beautiful beaches and great scuba diving. We're both certified.

Our budget would need to average to $400 US/night (so we can spend more on one island if we can save on the other). Is this even doable in FP? It's our honeymoon so really want to stay somewhere nice. If that budget is unreasonable then we may look at Hawaii instead.

Would definitely like the overwater bungalows for one of the experiences.

Moorea is not an option as the 2nd island; he's been there before.

Lastly, can you get to Bora Bora by ferry from Tahiti or just by plane?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Moorea
Moorea
Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

One more question- should we consider Fiji instead?

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

Is that $400 USD/night just for the hotel? Airfare from LAX to PPT runs at least $1000/person now, and interisland airfare will run around $500/person. Flying to Bora Bora is the only realistic option.

Honestly, I'd suggest reaching out to a couple of travel agents and giving them your budget. See what they can do. For atolls, the nicest and least expensive resort options (and I'm a resort gal, so can't speak to the pensions--there are other posters who can) would be Tikehau and the Pearl Beach. You can probably just get a beach bungalow there for $400 a night. Rangiroa is lovely, but the Kia Ora Village prices WAY above $400/night and the Manihi Pearl Beach closed.

You could look at Huahine and the Te Tiare--that should just be in budget, but in their garden units.

Overwater in Bora Bora at $400/night is going to be an incredible challenge. For that kind of budget, you can do the lagoon-view resort rooms at the Hilton, along with the Hotel Maitai, the Sofitel Marara, etc. To go overwater, you really need $600-700/night in Bora Bora (and then I'd be looking at the Pearl and Le Moana personally). Again, this is where you want a travel agent, so you can see if there are any discounts for using the same hotel brand on both islands, or if the Pearl is doing their stay-5-get-5, etc.

If that budget includes anything but the hotel room, it's also not going to be do-able with resort.

Mentioned in this post
Huahine
Huahine
Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, the $400 is just the hotel. We could possibly go up to $500, or a little more if meals are included. Airfare is a separate budget. Hoping to use miles for at least one of the tickets.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Tuamotu Archipelago
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

I think you should reach out to a travel agent, but I also think you can do it especially if you are open to a pension, some of which can be as nice/nicer than a resort. Check out Tevahine Dream on Rangiroa, and just see what they have to offer (and meals are included) Also, Ninamu on Tikehau which offers meals plus pretty much all activities other than diving for free. They, however, are more than Tevahine.

It's doable, but you would need to be open to other possibilities

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,003 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

Bora bora is by plane only.

Ninamu is about $800 per couple per night BUT it includes all meals and activities. That could be a great choice. I have gotten the Bora Bora Pearl for about $500/nt for an OWB but you have to shop around various sites.

I've always found I can do better on my own than a TA for FP but it can't hurt to price it out yourself and then see what they can do for you.

As far as Fiji versus Tahiti, there have been a few threads on that here over the years so you might want to do a forum search. Personally for me Fiji can not compare with the beauty of FP lagoons, atolls and islands.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Tahiti
Tahiti
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

I've been to Fiji and FP. There is no comparison as FP is super amazing. Plus, if diving is impt to u Fiji would be a real disappointment.

The Hilton often has buy 4 nights get one free for OWB. So have a look. But FP doesn't really reduce it's prices :)

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

A very belated update - we went to FP at the end of August and did Bora Bora at IC La Moana and Rangiroa at Kia Ora. Bora Bora was great for relaxation and the Overwater hut (although the water under the huts at Moana was a bit shallow - so our visions of jumping off our deck into the water were squashed.. but still beautiful!).

The diving in Rangiroa was AMAZING. We had a great honeymoon and the two islands were a fantastic combination for us. We definitely recommend Rangiroa for divers - and go with Raie Manta - they're fantastic!

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
215 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

I agree with CaboGirl. Bora Bora and Kia Ora in Rangiroa for fabulous diving and snorkeling. But since Kia Ora remodeled it will probably be out of your $400 price range. We stayed in 2005 for our honeymoon before the remodel and it was $400 a night for an OWB back then. Now I think it's double that. Huahine looks very nice as well. Why can't you do Moorea? Moorea is the only island you can take a ferry too. All the others you must fly. BB is another $500 from PPT R/T and Huahine will run approx. $350 R/T on top of your PPT flights. You really need a travel agent that specializes in the FP. Tahiti Legends is a good one.

I was like you and torn between Fiji and Tahiti. We decided to do 15 days FP staying on Le Tahaa, Bora Bora, Rangiroa, and 2 nights Kia Ora Sauvage. Then a year later, still wondering about Fiji, we went to Qamea Resort off Taveuni Island.

Both are amazing destinations and you won't go wrong with either. I prefer the FP Islands particularly Bora Bora. You just cannot beat that blue water, amazing snorkeling/diving, and I love the nicer restaurants. In Fiji, you usually choose a resort and stay there with meals included. The resort takes up much of the island. There are SOOO many tiny islands in Fiji. It gets Very confusing when planning to go there. Of course there are day trips to waterfalls and lots of resorts have "honeymoon beach" where they drop you off and leave you alone for a few hours. But no over water bungalows and the water wasn't as nice...in my opinion. The Fijian people were amazing and the nicest, happiest people you'll ever meet. If I was you, I'd do FP (Don't waste your time staying on the main island of Tahiti) Bora Bora and Rangiroa if you like to dive. you can always save $$ after the wedding and go to Fiji on an anniversary trip! Sorry for long reply:-)

Mentioned in this post
Huahine
Huahine
Moorea
Moorea
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Tahiti
Tahiti
Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
215 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

LOL! I must be tired. I just noticed you were giving your update!! So glad you had a nice time!!

10. Re: Honeymoon: 10 days - Bora Bora and what other island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 01, 2016