We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bora Bora trip - currency, supermarket, alcohol

Port Douglas QLD
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bora Bora trip - currency, supermarket, alcohol

My husband and I are heading to Bora Bora in 7 weeks to stay at the Le Meridian Bora Bora.

We've been researching and can see that food at the resort is quite expensive. We only have breakfast included.

We were thinking of purchasing goods (beer, snacks food etc) at Papeete before we get the flight to Bora Bora.

Can anyone recommend doing this and if so what is available and where do we purchase from?

Also we are coming through New Zealand from Australia so we will require some money exchange along the way. Can any aussies/kiwis recommend is it better to buy in Australia or New Zealand or in Papeete or simply just use Credit cards.

Duty Free - Can anyone recommend buying the Duty Free in Australia before we head to NZ or in NZ before we head to Papeete. And how many litres are we allowed each.

also as we are staying at Le Meridian Bora Bora which is close to 4 seasons, St Regis and the Intercontinental.. Can we easily get to these other resorts and perhaps eat at their restaurants? If so how do we get there?

Thx so much

Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Papeete
Papeete
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bora Bora trip - currency, supermarket, alcohol

You can exchange money at the ATM machine on arrival at the airport in Papeete. There is a small supermarket in the village of Anau across the lagoon from the LM that will have beer and snacks.

The LM boat will take you there. Also the LM has a boat transfer to the town of Vaitape that has a fully stocked supermarket. There is a charge for the shuttle that takes you directly into town. The transfer cost to eat at restaurants of the other restaurants will be very $$$$$$. The St Regis definitely more then the restaurants at the LM.

Regards BO

Mentioned in this post
Papeete
Papeete
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Vaitape
Vaitape
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
The St. Regis Bora Bora...
2,278 Reviews
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bora Bora trip - currency, supermarket, alcohol

We usually bring our own snack foods (chips, crackers, granola bars) with us in our suitcases. The local market is great for cheeses, sandwich meats, baguettes, pastries/takeaway plates, but it's not where I'd want to be buying, say, Doritos... the import costs are clearly high and a bag of chips that would run me 3.49 in the States was 8.00 on our last trip. It's also a great place for French wines, beer, bottled water and soda, and Tahiti Drink. Yum! Definitely wait, as BO suggested, and go into Anau or Vaitape. Faaa isn't going to have all that much, plus then you're carrying it on the plane and they frequently check hand luggage weights (I'm imagining trying to board the plane with my usual tote and a 12-pack of beer and a bag of snacks and yeah... wait for Bora Bora!) If you go into Vaitape, there are also various small eateries and sometimes a few roulottes at night.

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Vaitape
Vaitape
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bora Bora trip - currency, supermarket, alcohol

You will need to get your alcohol in New Zealand. Prices are the same-ish as they are in Australia. Australia has better reds but don't miss any NZ white wines. Oyster Bay is my fav (cab sav). Look for white wines in the Marlborough region.

Wines are also cheap in FP. They are French wines...not my favourite but they are readily available.

4. Re: Bora Bora trip - currency, supermarket, alcohol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 02, 2015