We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

miami
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

hello all,

I am currently in the midst of planning my honeymoon and have been become somewhat confused about the different hotels. Initially, I had booked Le Tahaa for roughly 7 nights, but I am concerned about becoming bored after several days due to the island's remoteness. More recently, I booked the St. Regis but ZI have some concerns as well based on recent reviews. The main complaints of the St. Regis seem to be: there are no fish, food is outrageously expensive, it costs 800 dollars to do any sort of excursion, the service is lacking and in general, it seems that the St. Regis experience is somwehat man-made, and not genuinley tahitian. I have now looked at the Hotel Bora Bora, and while there are many positive reviews, quite a few people complain about the outdated style and the cockroaches.

I am feeling lost!!!!!! please advise which hotel to go to!!!

thanks,

evan

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

I stayed at both Bora Bora hotels you mention a couple of weeks ago and I think the choice is really easy as they are vastly different. The Hotel Bora Bora is a very relaxing place, quite French Polynesian, small, intimate, quite old world. Its service level is so-so, island mentality (slow), more stand offish than actively trying to "please". It is a style of service, not bad or good. THe hotel is extremely relaxing and is in a very good spot to go for activities and restaurants.

The St Regis is almost the opposite. It is modern, it is hip, it tries to combine Tahitian elements with modern western design. The property, if you like the style, is stunning and vast in size. The rooms are perhaps the best I have ever seen in my life (stayed at many 5+ star hotels from Hong Kong to New York and Paris). The service is not French Polynesian, most personnel is from France and from some of the best hotels in Europe (they recruited really good people.) That being said, it is new and somewhat disorganized yet as logistics in such a large place in a location like Bora Bora is very tough. The staff tries really hard and the service is not standoffish but very active (they run up to you to pick up your luggage, drive to around on the resort, ask you before you ask, etc.etc). The St Regis, as a result, is less relaxing, it is sort of half way between traditional Bora Bora and New York City (I know it is weird.)

I am actually going back to Bora Bora in a few months and I will go back to the St Regis and not to the Hotel Bora Bora (though I liked the latter very much as well.)

Hope this helps, let me know if you have specific questions.

Zoli

miami
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

Pzoli,

can you comment on the swimming around the OWB? Also how was your view...is the four seasons construction bothersome?

thanks,

evan

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

Evan, I stayed at the original HBB for 80 days over 7 trips, I've been to the South Pacific 20 times and I never found a place I loved as much despite being to some other quite magical spots. Outdated? Well I know that Bora has been overrun by all these ultra fancy new places but HBB was completely redone (much to my sadness) and is no slouch when compared to all the newbies. Another thing, I neve saw one live cokroach at HBB but they are a fact of life on a tropic island. For a Tahaa alternative check out Vahine Island. With the $$ you save for no drop in quality you could probably by a new car. Good luck, Pub

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

Hi esch: Indeed it is difficult at best to make a decision on a hotel in Bora Bora! I think your decision to not stay seven days at Le Tahaa was a good one...it is good for about three days as it is quite remote...a very quiet beautiful romantic motu but just the hotel on it....excursions to Tahaa during the day but mostly a hotel environment. The St Regis has just opened and it seems they have a few kinks to work out service wise...as usual in FP...it is an expensive resort to be sure and the water is just settling out from all the construction. The Hotel Bora Bora is a beautiful traditional tahitian five star property with the best beach and snorkeling in Bora Bora. I spoke with the west coast sales office in regard to that post about cockroaches as I have stayed there many times and have never had a problem. They spray on a regular basis at this hotel and I am quite surprised at that post....The sales office was as well...they read it and contacted the hotel who also seemed surprised as they remembered the guests...three in a room. At any rate "outdated style" translates into a resort with no flat screen TV's no horizon swimming pool, no sparkley new fancy bungalows...just a classy tahitian quiet resort with a beautiful beach, fantastic sunsets and nice bungalows in beautiful gardens. Maybe you may wish to check out the Bora Bora Nui for the best of both worlds? They have a beautiful beach, horizon view of the reef, gorgeous bungalows and an expansive resort...

best of luck and sunny regards,

shully

NY, NY
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

Hi Pzoli,

Great feedback. Can you say ultimately what drove your decision to go back to St. Regis and not HBB?

Thanks!

miami
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

ok, thinking about the bora bora nui...what do you all think??

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

BoraBoraBabe,

For me the Hotel Bora Bora is good for 2-3 days max. It is relaxing but gets real boring (the resort itself) very quickly. While it has the reputation that snorkling is the best, I actually think snorkling is just so-so. It is the best compared to other hotels, but if you are in Bora Bora, I think there are significantly better places to snorkle (i.e. take one of the tours such as jetski or a lagoon tour and what you will see is far superior.) Also, I dive so for me the snorkling activity at the Hotel Bora Bora is not super exciting. The beach at the HBB is good, but I think the St Regis's admittedly man made beach is more stunning/beautiful and if I had to pick a day spending just on the beach the St Regis is far superior. More activities, better bar, better beach beds, and equally stunning views.

One area where the HBB I think is better and that is the restaurant. The St Regis Lagoon restaurant does not strike a good balance between hip style and local cuisine. It is as if they planted a super hip place from NYC to a motu in Bora Bora. It is too much and too expensive for what it is. I do not think I would go back to eat there if the format stayed the same. The Hotel Bora Bora has great food, decent service and much more affordable. Also, the Hotel Bora Bora has a good location to access a wide variety of restaurants. If you want to venture to mainland from the St Regis to go to another resturant, pretty much you need to leave at 6:15pm, which is the only time the boat takes you to land for dinner (all restaurants pick you up from where the boat drops you off.) So you basically have less flexibility in terms of when you dine from the St Regis, if that is something that is important for you.

miami
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

Shully, do you have pictures of the bora bora nui?? also, can you recommend which owb to request? or for that matter, which side of the motu is better? thanks so much for your help!!

evan

NY, NY
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

Thanks pzoli. Great feedback!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Bora Bora vs. St. Regis vs. Le tahaa

Hi Eschw999:

I do indeed have photos of the BOB Nui....and most of the other resorts....just post your email and I'll send you the link!

There are many lovely bungalows to stay at there....#109 has a great sunset view....

sunny regards,

shully