We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Liquor

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free Liquor

We will be flying to Tahiti and spending the night. Then we will fly to Bora Bora via Air Tahiti. We want to have liquor with us during our one week stay. Is there a duty free store at the Tahiti airport, and can we get to it when flying to Bora Bora?

Taranaki, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free Liquor

I don't think there is a duty free shop available when flying to Bora Bora but correct me if I'm wrong, I remember a small souvenir shop & a café pre bag check & at departure gate. We purchased duty free in New Zealand where we flew to Tahiti from & carried on to our Bora Bora flight. During our 1 night stay in Papeete we purchased some mixers at the Shell Petrol Station beside our Tahiti Nui Hotel. Definitely suggest buying duty free, was nice to drink a few beverages on the deck as the sun began to set - Enjoy!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free Liquor

No, you will not...the only Duty free shop in Tahiti is after security on your way home. Buy your duty free liquor at LAX and bring it with you to Tahiti and then on to Bora Bora. You will have no issues carrying in with you. They do not have the same liquid restrictions we have once you are there flying between islands....only when flying between countries.

3. Re: Duty Free Liquor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:09 pm, December 22, 2013
Ontario
Level Contributor
476 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free Liquor

We purchased duty free at LAX then transfered it to our luggage for the next leg. As LVP says you can carry it on. There is no where to purchase duty free prior to your inter island flight.

Enjoy your trip

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free Liquor

Thanks

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free Liquor

I would just like to clarify, please. Flying from LAX to PPT, purchase wine in Duty Free and Air Tahiti Nui will allow us to carry on. Are multiple bottles allowed?

Thank you.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free Liquor

Why buy wine at Duty Free when good French Wines in Tahiti are reasonably

priced and the selection is better.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free Liquor

When you buy at Duty Free...they take your order...you pay for it...and then they deliver it to you at your gate, so you don't actually take it through security...so it is no problem carrying it on with you.

I second Hamara's post...why buy wine at LAX Duty Free....they have a very nice selection of French Wins in FP at fairly reasonable prices. AND...the selection of wines they do sell at Duty Free at LAX tend to be a line of higher end wines...you won't find much of a selection at reasonable prices.

Beer, wine, and local Tahitian Rums are all fairly affordable in FP. No need to buy them at Duty Free. Buying alcohol at Duty Free is only advantageous when buying hard liquor. Hard liquors have very high import taxes on them and are VERY high priced in FP...easily double if not triple what they cost at home.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty Free Liquor

Thank you. I will wait until we get to FP. Prefer French Wines, so sounds perfect.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
123 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty Free Liquor

Hello!

Been reading up on this topic on TA and am not fully clear on duty free and how it relates to the weight restrictions for Air Tahiti. We will be purchasing alcohol duty free in LAX before leaving the states. We're not worried about carrying it onto our Air France flight to Papeete, but what we're concerned about is how it will work once we arrive in Papeete and check-in for our Air Tahiti flight to Bora Bora. My questions are:

1. Will we be allowed to carry on our duty free alcohol for the Air Tahiti flight, or will it need to be checked into our carry-on luggage?

2. Will the weight of the duty free alcohol count towards our 44lb weight restriction for Air Tahiti?

We are both certified divers and will have our diver certification cards plus a confirmation for dives while in Bora Bora so we do have some extra pounds if we need them, but we just aren't sure how to calculate the alcohol's weight into our total weight allowance.

Thank you!