We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater Cameras

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater Cameras

Trip of a life time for me. It was #1 on my bucket list that I wanted to do by the time I was 50. I am a very lucky girl and got this trip as a present for my 50th Birthday...WOO HOO

I already have a Canon digital SLR camera that I looked into getting a case for but Canon does not make them for my model. Also I really did not want to take chances with my expensive camera. I do have 2 smaller Canon cameras a Canon Powershot SD780 IS and Canon IXUS 70. Which I could look into getting cases for them or a case for my mobile but again I do not want to take chances of case leaking.

Looking for feedback on what cameras you have used? And cases for the cameras I own already.

Also suggestions on underwater cameras that are average price and takes great shots!!! I do not mind dropping a few hundred dollars.

Bora Bora here I come. Look out fishies. I hope your not camera shy...HeHe

Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Society Islands, French Polynesia
California
Level Contributor
9,959 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater Cameras

My husband just spent time researching the same question. He's decided on the Olympus TG2 for our trip in March. You might want to check it out--sounds like it has a lot of neat features.

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater Cameras

We are going in July and after much research I bought the Olympus TG 830.

Our kids tried it out in the pool and it takes beautiful clear pictures as well as video. Cant wait to use it in BoraBora!

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater Cameras

We are going in July and after much research I bought the Olympus TG 830.

Our kids tried it out in the pool and it takes beautiful clear pictures as well as video. Cant wait to use it in BoraBora!

Michigan
Level Contributor
495 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underwater Cameras

Jumping in on this thread! I had my mind made up to buy a Pentax WG3 after reading threads here on TA. Now, I'm looking at the Olympus TG830 per catfight23 above .....

Would like to stay under $250; want underwater capabilities, video & still photos.

Thoughts?

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underwater Cameras

I was also trying to stay under $250 but the reviews were just so much better on this Olympus model. I paid $279 with no tax and free shipping online at B&H Photo, which was the best price I could find from a reputable retailer. (http://bhphotovideo.com)

I am an amateur photographer and have ordered lenses from them several times.

One other note: this camera comes in lots of colors but I got red so we could find it if we dropped it while snorkeling :-)

Michigan
Level Contributor
495 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underwater Cameras

Catfight23-I think I saw the Olympus on amazon for about $226 which is less than the Pentax. And of course I'm immediately drawn to the red one too. Just want to be sure I make a decision based on functionality before looks :-)

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
260 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Underwater Cameras

We bought an Olympus Tough and it worked great our first trip to FP. We bought an additional one during our trip after that to St. John. We used it for the first time at the Baths in Virgin Gorda. It immediately started sparking and died. Then our other one did the same thing. We ended up buying another. I'm hoping it will last for our return trip to FP this summer, but want another one as back up. I'm thinking about a GoPro. Anyone have any experience with this camera?

Boston...
Level Contributor
611 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underwater Cameras

+1 for the GoPro cameras! I borrowed a Hero3 Black edition and I was stunned by how good it was. The fisheye lens makes an enormous difference over a standard lens.

Anyone buying a GoPro should make sure it's a Hero3. There are three flavors (white, silver & black). All are good but the Black edition is good enough that pros use them for lots of stuff.

Chattanooga...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Underwater Cameras

I just got back from Bora Bora with my family. It was unbelievable. I wanted to video the snorkeling trips we went on. I brought 2 GoPro Hero 3 Black Editions. They actually made my trip! The video and still picks were unbelievable.

Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Chattanooga...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Underwater Cameras

I just got back from Bora Bora with my family. It was unbelievable. I wanted to video the snorkeling trips we went on. I brought 2 GoPro Hero 3 Black Editions. They actually made my trip! The video and still picks were unbelievable.

Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora