We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from IC Le Moana

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from IC Le Moana

Happy to help if you have any questions!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from IC Le Moana

It would be helpful if you describe your experience in a short trip report/hotel review, so people can ask more specific questions. What did you see and do? What did you like/dislike? Where did you eat?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
584 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from IC Le Moana

I am heading (hopefully) to Le Moana next May (2014) and would like to know about your experience. Likes, dislikes, things you did, how much, type of room and location, etc.

Edited: 12:52 pm, April 10, 2013
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from IC Le Moana

We stayed at horizon OWB bungalow 31. This is not facing the mountain but we think its better since you have a bigger and wider swimming area since you don't get the boat going and leaving the dock. We upgraded to the ambassador program, paid for the lagoon OWB but upgraded to horizon OWB!

We got breakfast with our reservation. We used Tahiti legends and very happy with our TA!

Liked about the hotel - the bora bora feel and look of the hotel. Thalasso is more modern with beautiful landscape and better and the spa amenities that you can use. You have a boat transfer between hotels. Also a less than 1 minute walk literally from the reception to the matira beach where sunset is beautiful!

Our room has plenty of room and has a coral underneath that you can watch the fishes!

Bring water shoes! We didn't encounter any mosquito but definitely sunscreen!

Activities: we pre-booked Maohi Nui for the 3/4 day lagoon. They have a website and I pre-booked mine almost two months before. I wanted to do the full day but they were already booked! There's a cruise ship that comes in to bora bora so at times they get filled up fast! For 3/4 day we had a BBQ Lunch (pig) then half lobster and fish along with chicken different types of fruits and poisson cru - their native delicacy fresh fish with coconut milk! The tour consists of swimming with the sharks, feeding the sting ray (they are so docile!) and coral gardens then you eat lunch at a motu.

Booked 4x4 with the hotel, with Vavau 4x4, no need to pre book. We were the only one in the tour so it became a private tour! Ask for Daniel for guide.

Walked by the alley right by the hotel - location of the Boraborawaverunner.com - or matira jet tour where we did the jet ski and quad tour. They were pretty popular so make sure to call them or pre book with them so you can do it all in one day. We had to do it two separate days but it was totally awesome.

Bring underwater camera. Definitely good especially when swimming with sharks stingrays and snorkeling.

Food is expensive. I wish we could've gotten more money exchanged to francs through Wells Fargo since some mom and pop store only accepts that. Tried to eat a lot at breakfast. Bought water and snack(apple) at chin lee during the tour of vaitape and ate at aloe cafe(takes credit card) about $40 for two. We did bring snacks to cut back on expenses.

Ate at Bloody Mary's my opinion it's not that good food. We didn't like the food but ambiance was nice.

Also ate at the little store by Matira beach. They accept dollars but better to pay in francs. The exchange rate was low. $40 for two cheeseburgers and water

Shared a cheeseburger at the restaurant at Le Moana. They even split it to two plates and fries.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

California
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from IC Le Moana

Did you kayak out to the Coral Gardens to snorkel? That's our favorite part of staying at Le Moana IC.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from IC Le Moana

We tried to kayak and we went around and didn't work out for us! Glad we did the one big coral gardens at our tour!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
584 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from IC Le Moana

That is a huge help, thanks a ton for taking time to write.

Chaska, Minnesota...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back from IC Le Moana

When comes to getting francs, I now the IC resorts will give you up to 20,000 francs and charge it to your room. They charge 5% (1000 francs). This gives you the ability to get funds and also the good exchange rate from your credit card company. I did this on Bora Bora and Tahiti during our recent visit.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back from IC Le Moana

Wellsfargo.com also gave good rates. It was 93 francs per dollar instead of 80-83 rate at Bora Bora. When you order online you will get it overnight since they do FedEx express overnight. Good Luck in planning your trip! It was worth every penny !

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back from IC Le Moana

I want to give a plug to Le Moana. My wife and I stayed there on our honeymoon in 1995 and absolutely loved it. At the time it was arguably Bora Bora's finest property, along with the Hotel Bora Bora and the Bora Bora Lagoon Resort. Fast forward to last December, and we would have stayed there with our children if a single bungalow could have accommodated all of us. Instead we stayed at the Thalasso, a great place in its own right and along with the other new motu properties an example of the probably inexorable "resort wars" being waged on the island. We had dinner at Le Moana and found it as inviting and comfortable as before. To me it has more of an island feel than its flashier sister along with the logistical advantage that comes from being on the main island. I hope Intercontinental maintains its commitment to Le Moana. I'd like to stay there again.

California
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back from IC Le Moana

I agree with you, Michigan_Chipshot. We really like the comfortable feel of Le Moana and the great location. We've stayed there twice and when we return to Bora Bora we'll stay there again. When we stayed at the bigger, flashier resorts on the motus we felt like we could have been any where. At Le Moana we felt like we were in Bora Bora.