We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Bora Bora last week

Fontana, California
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from Bora Bora last week

Hello all!! I'm glad to announce that I too have experienced Bora Bora! My husband and I had the perfect honeymoon and still can't believe we were actually there. The whole time we were there, we kept saying that we feel like we're looking at pictures from TripAdvisor.com lol That was how much we were on this site.

Anyway, just thought I'd offer my experience and answer any questions. Here's some quick info about our honeymoon:

We flew on Air Tahiti Nui on March 21, 2013 and took the red-eye. We stayed in Bora Bora for 5 nights and 6 days.

We have the Ambassador membership - all benefits were used

Stayed at the IC Thalasso - half board plan included. ate our lunches at Sands

Had couples massages at the spa

Did the Raanui full day tour

Did the Matira Jet Tour jet ski & quad combo

Ate at La Villa Mahana - reserved the top table!

Ate 1 lunch and 1 seafood buffet at the Le Moana (sister resort)

Snorkeled at the Thalasso by the chapel

Used the beach sports equipment

Ask away!! =)

Boston...
Level Contributor
109 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Bora Bora last week

We'll be staying at Le Meridian but would appreciate if you could give me some of the prices of the things you did. Couples massage, jet tours, etc. I have no clue as to what the cost will be for the things we want to do and although I know it's expensive there I would like some idea what to expect. What beach sport equipment did you use? How was the flight to Tahiti? We have midnight flight as well.

Fontana, California
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Bora Bora last week

We stayed at the thalasso so I don't know their prices on food. We had our breakfast and dinners included in our rate. We went out one night for dinner to La Villa Mahana. The total bill was $361 USD. That included 2 tasting menus, a half bottle of Riesling and a bottle of water. I know it sounds like a lot of money but I figured we had to have the best on our honeymoon. I honestly thought it was worth it, being in such a beautiful setting. The food is phenomenal and the service we had was outstanding. Try to get a reservation for the top table. It's absolutely beautiful.

The spa we went to was at our resort and we were able to get 2 different massages side by side. I had the monoi traditional massage and my husband had the after sun care since he was pretty sunburned. After our massages we were able to use the spa facilities the whole day. We were even able to go in and out all day.

The excursions we did was a full day sting ray & shark tour with Raanui and we had a blast. It was supposed to be us and another 2 couples but one of them didn't show up so it was a very personal tour considering it was only us and another couple. They charged us $120USD each and it's definitely worth more than that. They even provided a BBQ lunch on a private moth and free beverages including beer.

The other excursion we did was the jet ski & quad tour with maria jet tours. They charged us about $320USD for 1 jet ski and 1 quad. My husband and I rode the same machines but they let us take a break if we wanted to switch drivers. They also provided a small snack called the Tahitian hot dog (I won't tell you what it is cuz i wanna keep it a surprise) =)

The beach equipment we used were the stand up paddle boards, kayaks, and fins. Our resort provided all of these for free.

We were supposed to stay at the Le Meridien but switched to the Thalasso instead. I did do research on the Le Meridien so I know that they have a free turtle sanctuary and they're located right next to the Thalasso. I read mixed reviews about the LM regarding their food and service which is why we switched to the Thalasso. I'm sure it'll be just as beautiful.

We flew out of LAX at midnight. The flight there was uncomfortable for me and I'm a short person. I'm a better flier than my husband and I was uncomfortable. We sat in seat 16A & B. They served sandwiches as soon as we were up in the air. Then served either an omelette or crepes about an hour or 2 before landing. All alcohol is free o the plane. Returning home was more comfortable and enjoyable. We sat in the seats right in front of the restrooms which surprisingly isn't bad at all. You're able to recline the whole flight and cut in front of the restroom line lol.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there's annoying else I can answer. Glad to help! =)

Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Bora Bora last week

How did you book the jet ski/quad tour? Did you do it in advance or upon arrival? Did you have good lookout points on the quad tour? Were you happy with one machine or would you get two if you could go back and do it again?

Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
285 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Bora Bora last week

Good for you, I wish I were back on my honeymoon and young again. We are on schedule for the exact trip in the next few months. Top table at La Villa Mahana a big plus. Question, did you need the bugg spray at the restaurants? Heard most are outside and wondering what the bug problems would be. Thanks.

Fontana, California
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Bora Bora last week

@cchandy: i booked all the excursions through email. it took a while to get a response sometimes but i was able to make reservations with them without a deposit. you give them the cash as you complete the tour. We were very happy with sharing a machine since i don't like to do the driving (i was able to take pictures ad videos as we were riding along). we did switch on the jet skis though since i know how to drive them. overall, we enjoyed it mostly because we were together. we were able to talk in each other's ears without shouting over the engines and we didn't get lonely (they ask that you follow in a line rather than on your own due to lagoon regulations). The quad guide took us up on a mountain that overlooks the lagoon. it's also the same stop as the 4x4 excursions. he gave a history lesson and the only i can complain about was that it was hot and very sunny the day we went. bring lots and lots of sunscreen and bug spray for this activity. we nearly finished a whole bottle of sunscreen spray between the 2 of us.

@wokeup: we never had any problems with any bugs but i wouldn't take any chances. if you're staying that the thalasso, 1 small bottle will be fine. we brought 2 and a travel size and didn't use very much. we usually just sprayed our legs and very little on the arms. they spray the resort frequently.

also, one thing i forgot to mention is that we experienced the canoe breakfast. it was so cool to see food delivered this way. i thought it was worth it, just try everything once! it was pricey but when you reserve this at the concierge, you get to order pretty much everything. my husband and i ordered everything on the menu. we saved some food in zip-loc bags to snack on later that day and we totally made it worth the price. by the way, bring lots and lots of zip-locs. i read this tip before going and didn't think it was necessary but packed a bunch any way and boy am i glad i did. i wished i had packed a few more. they will come in handy!

Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Bora Bora last week

Would you mind sharing the email address you were able to reach them at? Thanks for the info!!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Bora Bora last week

Hi, thank you for the info. We are staying in LeMeridien in October and the initial plan was to go to the IC Thalasso. Would you mind telling me if there was a big price difference? And were the food and service good in the IC Thalasso. I'm still doubting to change the reservation...

South Morang
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Bora Bora last week

Hi L, your trip sounds amazing. We are heading there for a day stop from our cruise. I would like to know just some little things, like about how much we need to maybe stop and grab a drink.....or snack. Have no idea of the cost of general items there. Our hoildays are normally south east Asia.....so this is exciting to be heading to Hawaii with island stops along the way. Regards.

Fontana, California
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Bora Bora last week

@cchandy: I got their email addresses from their websites. Let me check my emails and get back to you.

@winny: I don't remember the exact price difference was but the Thalasso was way more money but way more than we ever expected. We truly recommend this resort. We met a couple on our jet ski excursion that was staying the LM and complained about the food there. The food at the Thalasso was all very good. Not 1 thing to complain about. I can only speak for our experience at the Thalasso and I can tell you that there isn't one ounce of regret about making the switch.

@lizzie: happy to answer your questions...prices are very very high there depending on where you go. We mostly spent our money at the resort where drinks are about $20-30 each which is why we mostly drank local beer ($6 USD). Hard liquor is very expensive there but beer is the cheapest to get. Food was about $15-$20 for a sandwich or burger.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Bora Bora last week

IC Thalasso had better food than the IC Le Moana and it is very modern! Don't want to diss the Thalasso but IC Le Moana is located to the main island and had the nice Tahitian feeling. Also very good location since its only a minute walk from the reception to the Matira Beach where the sunset was breathtaking ! If you stay at Intercontinental you are able to go between sister resorts and use both amenities. We stayed at Horizon OWB #31 and you have hundred of yards of about four feet of water! Matira Jet Tour is the way to go!!