We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

First off, thanks to all who contribute to this forum. It was a big help.

I spent 8 days, 7 nights all in Bora Bora at Brandos Over water Bungalow in Fanuui. Overall it was a blast and the best vacation we've had. Just wanted to share some of the things we did, ate, and saw and I would be happy to answer any questions I can.

For those looking for a cheapish OWB check these OWB (5 of them) all located on the north side of the island. They come with a full kitchen so saving money on food is possible. You will need a car to get around if you stay here though.

Activities:

Reef Discovery - This was the best thing we did by far. We happened to also catch a really good weather day. Our tour guide Simon was fun and knowledgeable. We saw sting rays, sharks, eels, and tons of different kinds of fish.

La Plage. - After doing the reef discovery tour, we wanted to really go out on our own to the different motus in BB. We found out about LA Plate, located around matira beach, which rents out small boats to anyone. They have 6hp boats for those without a boating license and 15 HP boats for those with. We didn't have one so we had to have the 6 HP one. It was quite slow but it did the job nonetheless and renting a boat was cheaper than doing the reef discovery tour again. The first time we took got a boat the weather ruined it for us, because it was extremely windy. But we got a good weather day at the end of our vacation and decided to rent one again. Our favorite motus were pitiaau, teviroa, and topu.

Food/Dining:

SuperU/Chin Lee - These two markets in Vaitape is where we stocked up on food for the week.

Cafe Aloe - Had breakfast here 3 times. Great croissants and affordable.

Bloody Mary's - Lunch was great here, skipped dinner because it was too expensive.

Fare Mania - Best pizza on the island.

Paradiso - good lunch selection.

The leftover meat product food that we had, we cooked/grilled and threw out to the stray dogs :)

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

I forgot to mention. The weather was not that great, about half the days were decent though. If we ever go back, we plan on going during the dry season. I also found that the most accurate website for weather and wind conditions is http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=3605

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

Ben, were those OWBs built as part of the never-opened (?) Hyatt resort or as homes? What were the logistics of your airport transfer/car rental?

I think Simon was our guide as well (in December). We really enjoyed our half-day with him.

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

I think so, they're at least in that area of the Hyatt resort. The owner owns three of the five overwater bungalows, two of which belonged to Marlon Brando and one of which i stayed in. The owner has a helpful aid named Nir that meets you at the Vaitape dock when you arrive and provides you a car for your stay. The rental cost was also much lower than what Avis prices were.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

Hi - which website would provide details and prices for these options? Is the payment done through credit card over the internet?

usa
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

hello,

i was just curious and wasnt sure if you or anyone here has any thoughts/help/suggestions...

1.) is it worth doing jet ski tour at both moorea and bora bora? i read reviews and said both are very good but not sure we should do it at both islands or just bora bora ? also on moorea, is it better to do jet ski tour through alberts or through moorea jetski company if we were to do it in moorea?

2.) for moorea, is the ATV tour better with alberts or with moorea ATV tours? they both had good reviews so wasnt sure. i know alberts has combo jet ski/atv discount. do they both go to same places? offer fruit juice tasting and ice cream tasting?

3.) in bora bora, is patricks shark feeding/snorkle/picnic lagoon tour better or raanui?

4.) we are going for honeymoon, is it worth booking the loveboat tour in bora bora? is the loveboat tour same as a the private boat tour around the island with picnic at motu tapu?

5.) if we do the private boat tour OR love boat tour for bora bora, is it not worth doing patricks or raanui tour then? they do to same spots?

6.) whats best company or place to book private island tour with picnic and romantic lunch at motu tapu?

any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated for our upcoming honeymoon in may 2013

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

Hi Ben, I'm curious what star rating would you say they were. I know where they are and what pricing are they. Is there a website I can have a look at. Cheers Karen

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

Kazy71,

Which are you referring to? The bungalow? or a specific tour?

-Ben

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

Sorry Ben, the bungalow :)

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

Here is the link:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p330262

I would give it a 3 1/2 - 4 star rating (comparing to those types of hotels). But for the price, there is nothing on the island that beats it. You'll be to see that through the ratings that others have given it as well.

Jenks, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from 8 days in Bora Bora

We did Patrick's Motu Picnic one day and Reef Discovery the next. They were totally and completely different and went to different snorkel sites. I don't believe anyone could fairly say one was better than the other because the comparison is NOT apples to apples, so to speak.

Both were absolutely incredible and we would hate for anyone to go to Bora Bora and not experience one or both!! AMAZING!!