We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bora Bora - is a side trip to Taha'a worth it?

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Bora Bora - is a side trip to Taha'a worth it?

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to Tahiti and have recently become aware of the Taha'a Island Resort and its proximity to Bora Bora. Originally we had planned for 5 nights in Moorea followed by 6 nights in Bora Bora, but when we heard about Taha'a and looked into some reviews/photos, we started to consider 4 nights Moorea, 4 nights Taha'a, 4 nights Bora Bora to finish it off.

Thoughts? We know Taha'a will be more isolated with less in the way of activiites/restaurants/etc, but we think we're ok with that. Just wondering if we'd feel after the fact that the 3 stops were better than 2, and ultimately if we would feel we missed out on 2 extra days in Bora Bora by making a stop at Taha'a....

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Moorea
Moorea
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bora Bora - is a side trip to Taha'a worth it?

I would do Taha'a and add the helicopter transfer to Bora Bora ( not cheap but the view is worth millions)

meherio

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bora Bora - is a side trip to Taha'a worth it?

If you have 12 nights why not split between 3 islands. Tahaa is beautiful. Just keep in mind that every time you move you will spend most of the day with packing, transfers,checking back on etc. it's a personal decision on how busy you want to be. I don't think you will be sorry if you only do 2 islands.

Regards BO

Mentioned in this post
Tahaa
Tahaa
3. Re: Bora Bora - is a side trip to Taha'a worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:41 am, August 06, 2015
Edited: 12:41 am, August 06, 2015
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bora Bora - is a side trip to Taha'a worth it?

My wife and I recently spent 4 nights in Bora Bora and 3 nights in Moorea. Bora Bora was fantastic, but it is relatively small. We felt that 4 nights was a good amount of time to spend there, but I did feel that I could have used an extra night in Moorea. Moorea is about twice the size of Bora Bora. Unfortunately I can't comment on Taha'a, but hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bora Bora - is a side trip to Taha'a worth it?

I would do either 4/4/4 or stick with Moorea and Bora Bora. We've done the helicopter transfer from Tahaa to Bora Bora and it was, as mentioned by Meherio, absolutely spectacular. I'm sure I didn't want to know what it cost--but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I do love Bora Bora. I know some believe it is overly touristy and commercial, but that has not been our experience. Personally, I strongly prefer it to Tahaa. The views are astounding, the lagoon colors are incredible, and there is a little more to get out and do and see (particularly in terms of food). We thoroughly enjoyed Tahaa, but it's Bora Bora that we return to. Tikehau, as mentioned, is also incredible, but the logistics of the flights can get tricky. If it was me, I'd price/compare the original Moorea/Bora Bora split you were considering, and then also look at a 4/4/4 Moorea/Bora Bora/Tikehau or Moorea/Tahaa/Bora Bora split.

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Tahaa
Tahaa
6. Re: Bora Bora - is a side trip to Taha'a worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, December 16, 2013