We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy black pearls in Bora Bora, Moorea or around airport?

Level Contributor
51 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Buy black pearls in Bora Bora, Moorea or around airport?

We are going to Moorea, then Bora Bora and wanted to know the best island / retailer for black pearls. What is our best bet as far as price and quality? If you we're going to buy somewhere, where would you go for the best bang for your buck? I don't want to pass up a good spot in Moorea only to find Bora Bora is overpriced or vice versa... You can't exactly commute back easily or economically to price shop.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to our honeymoon next May.

Moorea, French...
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Buy black pearls in Bora Bora, Moorea or around airport?

Iaorana AJ C,

IN my experiences with pearls in French Polynesia, they tend to be a bit less expensive in Tahiti and Moorea then they are in Bora Bora. I would recommend doing some homework online and maybe a few guide books. You will be overwhelmed with pearl stores when in French Polynesia. As a few people mentioned its important to get educated on the pearls before buying them. It will help you understand the pricing difference, grade, quality, and value of the pearl.

A couple of reputable places in my opinion that have been around a long time in Moorea is Ron Hall Pearls and Eva Pearls. I believe they even give a little pearl lesson. but feel free to shop around. Good luck

San Jose, California
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Buy black pearls in Bora Bora, Moorea or around airport?

I enjoyed this conversation. Going to Moorea and Bora Bora next month. Same question. Doesn't look like there are any straight answers. Will do my "homework" before the trip by visiting local jewelry stores. What should I be looking for when I look at the pearls?

Hamburg, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Buy black pearls in Bora Bora, Moorea or around airport?

Read my posts on the first page -- there are all different shapes and sizes -- depends on what you like -- the perfect round black (peacock green) pearls with no visible marks will command the higher prices -- I was very happy with Wendy on Bora Bora (the famous "Patrick's" cousin) so I felt very good dealing with her -- no pressure. But I also found some lovely ones at the craft market on Moorea docks a few days later. Are you going by cruise ship ?? Usually there are some informational lectures on board before you reach the islands. Don't buy in the Hawaiian islands --- higher prices and the pearls all come from Bora Bora and Moorea, anyway. Best advise -- if you like what you see and the price seems right for you --- buy it. Chances are you won't get another opportunity.

14. Re: Buy black pearls in Bora Bora, Moorea or around airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:41 pm, March 09, 2015
Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Buy black pearls in Bora Bora, Moorea or around airport?

I agree with the above comments, Wendy's shop is a good place; all the staff really have a deep knowledge of Perl culture. Hard to compare Perls from shop to shop, the Perls mostly come from the Tuamotu's and the Gambier's Islands; quality, size and shine makes the price and you need to find the Perl that speaks to your heart:-).

16. Re: Buy black pearls in Bora Bora, Moorea or around airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 18, 2014