We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Europe + Bora Bora or Maldives????

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon Europe + Bora Bora or Maldives????

My fiance and I are planning are dream trip and honeymoon all rolled into one. It's not the typical trip but I have always wanted to do a 3 week trip that included one week in France, one week in Italy and one week in a hut over the water in Bora Bora. We are located in Los Angeles so logistically it is not that practically but has always been my dream honeymoon.

After speaking to a travel agent she suggested that we travel from Venice to the Maldives rather than Bora Bora. She said that the flights doing this would be more affordable and would save us 2 days travel time.

I would love peoples thoughts, experiences, opinions on Bora Bora versus the Maldives and any suggestions for making this dream trip a reality.

Thanks!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
189 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Europe + Bora Bora or Maldives????

If it were me, I'd split into 2 trips. Italy+France and then give BoraBora/FP it's own trip. Take one for your honeymoon, and one for your 1st anniversary. Besides, it'll be more affordable that way. I hear Maldives is beautiful, but I'd much prefer the mountains in BoraBora and the other islands.

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Europe + Bora Bora or Maldives????

Depends when are you going and I might be able to give some clue. But I have not been to Bora Bora yet but might be before you do.

To fly to Maldives from Europe is easier.

Bora Bora has more dramatic view and culture to explore. Best snorkeling sites are not easy to reach without a boat.

Maldives has more dessert island feel and more closer to shore reefs to snorkel around, really depends on which resort to pick and depends on your priority, plus budget.

In general if you go to Maldives for honeymoon, better avoid all inclusive family style resorts, resorts without reefs and those more than 50 rooms.

Under 40 bungalows will be ideal for quieter holiday,with a reef and nice restaurant and services will be a big bonus.

On a second thought isn't Seychelles shorter to reach than Bora Bora from Maldives?

If you can visit Bora Bora another time will be easier to arrange?

Edited: 12:15 pm, November 13, 2012
UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Europe + Bora Bora or Maldives????

I've been to both. Your honeymoon plans sound amazing, although quite ambitious. I'm from London and I honeymooned in LA, Moorea and Bora Bora. LA was a fantastic start to our trip! Since you live closer to BB, I would leave that for a separate trip. It's a truly intoxicating trip and you need to see Moorea too to complete the experience.

Seeing as you will be in Europe, Maldives is easier to get to and worth considering. Seychelles is another option - you can fly via Milan in Italy. Both the Seychelles and Maldives would be lovely honeymoon destinations.

I was looking at my photos of Seychelles just the other day. People used to claim that the original "garden of Eden" was based there. The beaches and scenery are so idyllic.

The Maldives is also a very special place but different. As the poster above states, a lot depends on your budget. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend Baros - it is the ultimate honeymoon destination - they get everything done to perfection.

Enjoy your honeymoon planning and congratulations!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Europe + Bora Bora or Maldives????

The Maldives and the Seychelles (and also Mauritius) are still a fair old slog from Europe. A lot depends on when you plan your trip - but if it's in the May-October range you can find several exceptional hotels in Europe and North Africa which would be ideal honeymoon destinations. Check out this website and in particular Amanruya in Turkey, Amanzo'e in Greece, Amanjena in Morocco and Aman Sveti Stefan in Montenegro. All are very easily accessed from any major European city.

Here's the link:

http://www.amanresorts.com/

5. Re: Honeymoon Europe + Bora Bora or Maldives????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 04, 2013