We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you go?

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where would you go?

My idea of a dream vacation (like many others, I'm sure) is to be able to walk in a living post card. I would love to travel to a place in the south pacific that has water as beautiful as BB's with clean white sand, fringed with bent palms. I have been to BB twice, and I loved it, but I would like to go somewhere with fewer people. I have looked at pics of Fakarava and Maupiti, and they don't seem to have the dramatic natural beauty of BB, and the water doesn't appear as stunning. The closest thing that seems to approximate what I'm looking for are pics of Aitutaki, particularly around One Foot Island. Does anyone have suggestions for a south pacific destination that would come closest to what I have in mind? Would Aitutaki be the best bet?

BTW, sometimes I really wish I could have seen BB 20 years ago or so, before tourism took off. It must have been stunning!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you go?

My husband and I spent 2 weeks on Aitutaki last year as part of our 6 week honeymoon and loved it. We have NOT been to Bora Bora, but of the other Aitutaki guests we spoke with who have, the consensus was: 10% less beautiful, 200% cheaper. When pressed, they elaborated: without the plunging mountainscape, Aitutaki isn't as beautiful as BB. But the beaches and waters themselves are just as pretty. So that missing 10% is the fact Aitutaki is flat, if you're ok with that. Overall, lots less people. Lots less resorts. Lots less money. :)

2. Re: Where would you go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:27 am, September 20, 2013
Edited: 2:27 am, September 20, 2013
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you go?

We really loved our time in the Tuamotus, particularly Ninamu off Tikenau. stunning water and sand, and few people. I would also consider the Marquesas.

If you're willing to look outside of the South Pacific, the Seychelles have the most stunning beaches I've ever seen, with glorious above water mountainous and granite jungle-y landscapes and great water colors and clarity.

Edited: 5:32 am, October 07, 2012
4. Re: Where would you go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, December 14, 2013