We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empty places to go

Hampshire ,England
Level Contributor
528 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Empty places to go

Just discovered that I want to go to Bora Bora. I think one of the reasons is that it looks half empty.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but is this true? I would like to take my son and do some diving and it looks like this would be easy to do here. What are the other islands like. Ideally I want very pretty, not so many people.How resorty are the resorts?

1. Re: Empty places to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:07 am, June 24, 2014
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Empty places to go

For that empty feeling ( full of marine life ) I would go to FAKARAVA.

check www.raimiti.com ( featured in this month Travel and Leisure)

Hampshire ,England
Level Contributor
528 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Empty places to go

Fantastic. Too good to waste on the children! Thanks for that

Hampshire ,England
Level Contributor
528 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Empty places to go

Pausanias - ok thanks too. I did wonder where the sewage goes in those expensive bungalows actually..

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
177 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Empty places to go

Not quite sure what you meant by your comment AmyEade...are you implying they simply dump the sewage in the ocean? The Four Seasons has a water treatment facility.

Pausanias, how exactly are they environmentally damaging? Most of them work to protect the environment, and even ask their patrons to consider donating 200 FPF towards this cause. The IC Thalasso even has a turtle sanctuary. Please validate your comments before presenting such allegations.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
177 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Empty places to go

Not to mention the Pearl's Coral reef nursery, this is from their website:

In 2001, Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa collaborated with a marine biologist to install 30 artificial reefs within the lagoon of the hotel under the overwater bungalows.

This nursery is a unique experience because it combines many points that seem to be essential for us:

- to preserve the coral population that are in distress thanks to the scientific projects being set up

- to make the guests and local population aware of the need to protect the environment by taking part in the education and recreational activities within the nursery.

- To attract multitudes of marine life and corals in the area.

This nursery is part of a global environment program led by our team to protect the environment and to build awareness for our guests.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Empty places to go

"how exactly are they environmentally damaging?" Are you kidding me? How much of the environment do you think they had to tear up to build all the OWB? They have done an enormous amount of damage! Yes, they are trying to repair it and help things for the future...but they have done a massive amount of damage to the environment just by building the hotels. It's a bit disingenuous to brag about all the good work being done now....just to repair the damage that shouldn't have occurred in the first place!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
177 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Empty places to go

No Patti, I am not all disingenuous. How disingenuous of you to sell tickets to it if it's such a horrible place.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Empty places to go

I don't sell tickets... I am not a travel agent. I am just a regular person who travels to French Polynesia.

And I didn't say it was a horrible place. I said the OWB have caused damage the environment.

AND...I didn't say YOU were being disingenuous...I said those (like the Pearl) bragging about protecting the environment....AFTER they messed it up are.

detroit
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Empty places to go

I have to agree with patti

We sailed around most of bora bora and it was sad to see how the lagoon has become hotel after hotel. We were just so surprised at the scope of the over the water bungalows . I still love bora bora, but it really made me appreciate the other society islands not so built up

Oh and patti is Sooo useful- she volunteers her time to make our vacations more enjoyable

Thanks patti

Edited: 5:30 pm, October 05, 2012