We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Topic
Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

Wife and I will be on an 8 day bareboat charter encompassing Raitea,Taaha and Bora Bora. We then will be left with 7 free days but must end up in Papeete for our return home.Since we don't want to spend a fortune flying between several islands would there be suggestions for us? We know we could go back to Tahiti and stay there and include Moorea but want to make sure we what places to avoid or include. Do we just remain in the Bora Bora area? Thanks in advance!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

If you don't want to be flying between islands, then Moorea is obviously your best bet. You can say there all 7 days..or maybe do a 5-2 split with Tahiti.

Or...if you'd like...you can stay in Bora Bora for another 3 or 4 days, and then go to Moorea for 3-4 days.

detroit
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

Hi! We cruised around the Society Islands 2 years ago and are heading back in December. Yeah! We loved huahine- that was the highlight of our trip. Perhaps you could sail to huahine and visit bora bora via a hotel. Or maybe you could do a one way charter and stay on bora bora or huahine. Talk to your charter company and see if that is an option. Have so much fun!!!!

Edited: 8:32 pm, October 02, 2012
San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

Hi...we are using Dream Yacht Charters 41 foot Catana Cat. Who are you using? Any advise on provisioning and items to take with us from the US?Do you think after spending this time on the boat we would enjoy Moorea or should we just spend more time on land on Bora or Raiatea,Taaha? Thanks

detroit
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

Hi Scott

We used moorings last time and this time sunsail 444 cat. We used moorings for provisioning. I think we we did full days/ but for about half the days- so we were on a 10 day sail and provisioned for 5. The food amount was perfect because we enjoyed doing local dinners

We did not make it to moorea:( last time.

Bora bora was nice. But it is Sooo touristy- too many over the water bungalows. That is why we loved huanine- only a few hotels. Private beaches etc. when I dream on Tahiti my happy place is huahine

Things to bring from home

Soft cooler for the hinano beer!

We like to float rafts off the back of the boat- so inflatable rafts

Pick up alcohol in lax- 2 bottle per person

Bring a medical kit. If you can get antibiotics get them. My son stepped on a rock and ended up with an infection

Let me know if you have any other questions

Andrea

detroit
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

You probably know to bring your own mask and snorkel!

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

Thanks for the advise. Is Huahine easily accessed from Raiatea? Go Tigers! I grew up in Birmingham

detroit
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

Huahine is the same difference as bora bora about 20 nm!

I live in Birmingham now and go Tigers!

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

When we have to turn our boat in at Raiatea marina we will need to either fly or take a ferry to Huahine....is that easier and relatively inexpensive? Going to Tigers game 5 tonight...hope they beat Oakland!

detroit
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

I think you have to fly- I am not aware of a ferry service flight should be cheap. When do you leave

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hello...Advice on our "Free" days in F.P

One way is currently running about 8000 XPF/adult. You can check fares here:

https:/…Air