We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone on Bora Bora

Clovis, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone on Bora Bora

Hi, my husband and I will be leaving our 20th anniversary trip to Bora Bora in 4 days! It'll be our first time in FP and can't wait! We have 3 young children at home so need to be able to be reached by caregivers in case of an emergency. What do you seasoned Bora Bora travelers recommend? Verizon global phone? iPhone? AT & T best for Bora Bora? I've read that we can get a calling card there and use pay phones to call home (US), but I want those at home to be able to reach us if needed.

Also, does anyone know if the IC Le Moana has WiFi in the OWB? Free WiFi anywhere near the IC Le Moana?? Any insight is much appreciated!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: cell phone on Bora Bora

Bo,

We don't use an "international" phone card, just the regular Telecarte sold by OPT, which is good for both local and international calling. Usually a 1000 f card gets us through routine calls home if we need to make them, and we use the Vini for incoming and local calls.

I have seen those international cards (where you dial a special number and then enter your code to make a call), but with the Telecarte, you just insert it into a payphone, it shows remaining credits, and you dial.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: cell phone on Bora Bora

You can reference your device/etc here, you do need a world (GSM) phone from verizon:

…verizonwireless.com/international/traveling…

Half way down you can click on "3G" and see a list of devices.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: cell phone on Bora Bora

Sandy,

With any cell phone that actually works in FP, coverage is very good on Bora Bora -- no problems!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: cell phone on Bora Bora

Link right to the verizon world phone list:

…verizonwireless.com/international/Global_Ph…

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: cell phone on Bora Bora

Thanks Barbi, I understand the difference now.

Regards BO

Clovis, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: cell phone on Bora Bora

Just ordered a global phone from Verizon and getting it tomorrow. I thought it would pencil out best that way. I'll do the Vini phone if for some reason the global phone doesn't work out. Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge! Now I just need to pack for paradise :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: cell phone on Bora Bora

Do you get the number of the Vini phone (tahiti-airstore.com/travel-essentials/vini-p…) before receiving it so you can let people know how to reach you and avoid wasting some of the 60 minutes calling them to share it?

Clovis, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: cell phone on Bora Bora

We ended up getting a calling card, $10 for 20 or 30 minutes (as our Global phone didn't work due to Verizon not turning the global on, ugh!) We also bought some wireless time to chat online with family back home. I'm not sure if you can get the Vini phone number before buying the phone. Maybe someone else has insight to that.

19. Re: cell phone on Bora Bora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 17, 2013