We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refurbishment Progress at Intercontinental Le Moana?

Atlanta, GA
1 post
Save Topic
Refurbishment Progress at Intercontinental Le Moana?

This resort at Matira Point was damaged by the unusal storm waves that hit Bora Bora last Fall. It has been closed for refurbishment since then and is scheduled to reopen on June 1st. Does anyone know if the refurbishment project is on-schedule and what condition the resort should be in when we arrive on June 20th?

Dallas, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Refurbishment Progress at Intercontinental Le Moana?

GSteven - did you ever hear anything back on this? I'm staying there at the end of July and when I called the 800 IC number, they couldn't really give me a status. I've emailed the hotel directly, but haven't gotten a response yet....

Moorea
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Refurbishment Progress at Intercontinental Le Moana?

Hi,

He is the last letter I received from the IC:

You should contact your travel agent regarding compensation:

We have so far been giving you as many details as we could on the development of our new hotel in Bora Bora, the InterContinental Resort and Thalasso Spa, and we have promised you the reopening of the Moana on June 1st.

We would now like to give you the most accurate update on the works carried out in this tiny, secluded hotel which will be opening for sure on June 1st, but only partially.

May I draw your attention to the fact that it will take us most of June to finish laying the last overwater bungalows on their new concrete structures, since they are the most remote part located on the lagoon.

That is why you will still find one crate, one or two barges still running at the far end of the overwater bungalows area by then. The works will obviously be noisier than planned but they will be over before the end of June.

In fact, I have to admit that we have asked the owner to put all his human and technical resources available on the “Thalasso” even if it would delay the Moana. The human resources in Bora Bora are scarce and they have been running at their highest level.

And yet all the beach bungalows, the overwater bungalows of the latest extension (located on the right of the hotel map), the swimming pool, the restaurant and the bar will be completed and renovated by June 1st. All of the 20 overwater bungalows, which are located the closest to the beach (left on the map), will also be completed. The most visible works will therefore be concerning a maximum of 10 units located far from the living area but they will still be visible.

You may freely cancel your reservations for June, since I would completely understand you not wishing to take any risks or complaints. However I can assure you that the customers of this hotel will be our main concern as usual. As for July, it is totally safe from any risks, since the only works left will be carried out inside the overwater bungalows, thus causing neither visual nor noise inconvenience.