We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Any pointers on what would make you choose one resort over the other? Planning an anniversary trip there next year and can't choose...really looking for just a wonderful bungalow (they both have) some good food and maybe a cool bar / lounge to go to at the resort after dinner for drinks or something...

Am leaning towards the 4Seasons - but so many good reviews on the St Regis makes me wonder what they have that tops the 4Seasons.

Thanks

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
101 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Not to beat a dead horse - but as some contributors on here have mentioned the travel agency under-fire on these reviews for both the 4S and St. Regis did offer a gift card for a review mentioning their name. Though I can see how some may view this as unethical - what's wrong providing an incentive for customers to post a review of their experience? It's a fairly standard marketing strategy and clearly it's working...

My wife and I honeymooned at the 4Seasons back in April 2010 - used said agency and they did an excellent job! I'd highly recommend using them and will IF I'm so lucky to return to the beautiful Island of Bora Bora!!!

Edited: 4:46 pm, July 05, 2011
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

How much did they pay you for a review? If you can afford the St. Regis or Four Seasons then twenty bucks is not going to impress you. $100?

Did you get paid more $ if you mentioned them more than once in the review?

What are the guidelines regarding favorable vs. unfavorable reviews? Were you given sample reviews to emulate?

When was the review deal offered - at the end of the trip when you reported that everything was great ?

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
101 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Less than $100 for sure - honestly I cant recall the giftcard amount but regardless ($15, $30, $50) I'd post a positive review for $5, who cares!

No - not paid more for dropping their name more than once.

No guidelines on what to say or how to say it.

Bottom line - after pricing out several packages, through several travel agencies, no-one could match their price... So for us, it was a "no brainer".

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Zeebs...the reason it is an issue is they are in direct violation of TA guidelines....which in part read....

"....are welcome to encourage their guests to submit user reviews upon their return home, but they are not allowed to offer incentives, discounts, upgrades, or special treatment on current or future stays in exchange for reviews..."

I have absolutely nothing against someone mentioning a company they received good service from. THAT is part of what TA is all about...sharing travel experiences. But this company is totally abusing the system in a completely unethical fashion by paying for those reviews. THAT is NOT in the spirit of Trip Advisor! Quite honestly, whether or not they are a good company to work with, or they can get the best deal (not necessarily true), is beside the point.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Jamita - we stayed at FS Bora Bora for our honeymoon couple years ago and absolutely loved it. We were given a grand tour of St. Regis when we were there for a day as well. On this grand tour done by St. Regis' manager, we checked out different types of bungalows, beach villas, restaurants, spas, pool, etc. Both my husband and I agreed that we liked Four Seasons better. We're going back there next year. This time will visit other French Polynesia islands as well.

Overwater bungalows: The overwater bungalows at FS are much more open and definitely newer. Regardless which category you choose, all bungalows have beautiful views (including windows at sitting areas) and pretty private. People in neighboring bungalows won't see you sunbathing on your deck. A lot of overwater bungalows at St. Regis have windows looking out to the sides of neighboring bungalows. The bathrooms at St. Regis are bigger, but, lots of them don't have the view out to the lagoon like FS.

Beach Villas: extremely expensive (around $15,000/night) at both resorts. They have 2 or 3 bedrooms, kitchenette, huge living room, private swimming pool, small gardens and entrance to the beach. But unless you go with a big group or want to seriously splurge, overwater bungalows may be a better pick.

Food: both FS and St. Regis are on their own private motus, so unless you arrange for private transfers to and fro other resorts/main island, your choices are limited to the restaurants onsite. Both resorts have the goods and bads about food, so they're a toss up.

Service: we didn't stay at St. Regis so we don't know how the service was. But everyone seemed really nice when we visited. FS had a few hiccups with their service while we were there, which they later contacted me to rectify.

Spa: FS hands down. The views from FS spa are awesome, specially from their jacuzzi in the women's side. They also have yoga platform right on the lagoon if you're into yoga. Extremely clean sauna. Lockers with hair blow dryers, lotion, shampoo, conditioner. Seashell-designed full body shower with programmable settings. The relaxation room comes with cold cucumber water and light snacks. And the couple massage suite is fantastic, with glass inserts underneath the massage beds, looking down to tons of fish gathering underneath, huge outdoor rain shower, private double bathtub, private sunbath deck with pillows. All spa facilities are free for you to use. It's extra if you choose to get massages.

Snorkeling: they both have private lagoons for snorkeling, you won't see too much big fish or colorful corals. FS has an onsite marine biologist who will snorkel with you in their private lagoon, point out interesting things, which makes it a lot more enjoyable. You can watch him feed octopus as well (which was so cool for us to watch). If budget allows, take an excursion to go shark and ray feeding and to coral garden near the edge of Bora Bora lagoon. You'll be in the water when the guide feeds the sharks. They're harmless (we were told!) j/k they're black tip sharks, and harmless after years of being treated as pets). Then the rays will come, sliding right up to your face to demand food! It's an once in a lifetime experience.

If interested, you can read the full review on my blog iventurous.com/rottieto2001/…

Oh, one more thing, cold bottled water and sunblock were readily available for free every where we went at FS (spa, tennis court, gyms, youth club, etc.) It helps to save a bit when a bottle of water in restaurants will cost close to $10. There was no such thing at St. Regis. They had water coolers in their spa with tiny little plastic cups.

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

We will be going to FP on the Paul Gaughan in December of 2012 for our 25th anniversary. We are looking for "the best " day Spa and sunset dinner place, on Bora Bora for 12-12-12. We will be returning to stay on our cruise boat. Any suggestions would be so appreciated. I am currently finding out when sunset occurs and where the most romantic place to see it would be.

Bruce, Denver, Colorado

Edited: 2:03 pm, October 04, 2012
oklahoma city
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

We booked our upcoming trip to BB with the company you are talking about. We have talked with 3 companies and chose them bc they are so good to work with. They are on the ball- seriously- with any concern and question I've had and I just feel like everything has been laid out so easily it's made our planning a piece of cake. I can send an email and get a response within an hour. I did my research and did contact them bc I saw their name mentioned so many times. Our trip has not happened yet but I can tell you I have been extremely happy with their service. Maybe they are doing something shady (I guess I will know if they offer me a $ card to write a review) but as far as service it has been spot on thus far. They did push the St Regis which is where we are staying, but one of the other companies did as well and another pushed the Hilton. All 3 steered us away from the FS bc they said it was more of a "family" atmosphere. And we were really leaning toward the St. Regis to begin with so two of them being so pro-StR just sort of solidified what we were thinking. Just my two cents on our current experience... :)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
98 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Wow, this has been a fascinating thread. I love the passion shown by Patti but I must say it is not surprising to see the kinds of tactics that have raised her ire at work here on TA. This site is not immune to the scourge of all Internet user review sites-fake reviews or purchased reviews. And while in this instance the reviews appear to be genuine if a bit disingenuous at times the advisory to be wary of everything that you read on the net holds true here just as anywhere else.

All of that said, my wife and I are going to the 4S. Friday. Couldn't be more excited.

Travel well my friends.

Cheers

São Paulo, São...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

I spent my honeymoon at Four Season´s and it was OUTSTANDING!

Andy

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

The company is not shady or unreliable or anything like that....nor is the St Regis a bad choice. The biggest issue here is they are using Trip Advisor for free advertising....which is supposed to be against the Trip Advisor guidelines.They are paying their customers with a gift card to mention their name in the reviews. The more they get mentioned, the more other potential customers see their name...the more people see their name, the more business they get...and the cycle goes on. It's unfair to the agencies who do play by the rules. What if all agencies decided to do the same? Then every single review would be technically an advertisement for an agency. One company has already taken up the program. It wouldn't take much investigation to see which one.

There's nothing wrong with mentioning the name of an agency that gave you good service...but there is something wrong when they are prompting you to do so.

With their constant free advertising it is damaging the point of what Trip Advisor is supposed to be all about...unbiased customer opinions and reviews....NOT free advertising for certain travel agencies. It has gotten to the point there is no fighting it. I gave up the battle a year ago. Trip Advisor didn't seem interested in putting a stop to it, so I gave up fighting it. Sadly, playing by the rules just isn't the American way any more.