We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
387 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

I really thought that we had our trip to French Polynesia figured out and then a dear friend of ours told us about their amazing experience in Bora Bora. We are now back to researching our pre-cruise options.

Previously we were planning to stay at the Hilton Moorea because we were told their snorkel experience from the OWB are absolutely wonderful.

So, if we switch our pre-cruise stay to Bora Bora which hotel do you believe provides the best snorkel experience? It is our plan to spend a lot of time in the water snorkeling and the remaining time in our room :-)

We are also big fans of amazing sunsets. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

Your friends are quite right about the Hilton Moorea. Fabulous shore snorkeling there-- the best we've found in Moorea. In Bora Bora, I would suggest looking at the the Bora Bora Nui, if you want sunsets and snorkeling.

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
387 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

Thank you for the response. How funny - Our friends stayed at the Bora Bora Nui while on that island.

We have requested pricing information from our TA for the Bora Bora Nui. Pre-cruise the prices are higher for BB, but post cruise the pricing is not that much different. In her opinion each hotel has the best snorkeling for its respective island, but overall she believes the edge goes to the Hilton Moorea.

So now the question is - Bora Borai or Moorea?

Not sure if this makes a difference, but our cruise will spend two days in Bora Bora and one day in Moorea. We plan to stay in an OWB for three nights with either option and breakfast, inter-island flights and transfers are included in all packages.

Thanks for your assistance.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

Your friends have excellent taste-- those are two fabulous choices-- you can't go wrong! Are you planning on doing any excursions, other than enjoying your fabulous bungalow and the snorkeling? If so, I'd let that drive my decision. If not, I'd just spend some time looking at all the Trip Advisor pics and maybe somewhere like Flickr... and go with the resort that called to me the most.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

The advise given is spot on. Enough said .........

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

We are close to booking a similar package and plan on staying for about 4 nights pre cruise at the Hilton on Moorea. Our reason is that we have 2 days in Bora Bora on the cruise and also, I believe that getting to Moorea is a lot less expensive and easier then getting to Bora Bora

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

That's exactly the reason we're spending 5 nts post-cruise on Moorea too. It's waaaay cheaper to get to Moore via airplane or ferry. I've heard that two days on Bora Bora is sufficient for many people, so we can't justify the expense to fly all the way back.

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
387 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

Thank you for all the advice - it is greatly appreciated.

I think we have finally come full circle with our planning and are now back to staying pre-cruise at the Tikehau Pearl Beach Resort. We were considering Bora Bora and Moorea, but since we will visit both islands on the cruise we decided to reconsider Tikehau.

Our travel agent was not very high on this option for us since snorkeling is very important to us, but after reading the feedback from a lot of travelers on this website, I think we will be very pleased wih tthe snorkeling experience in Tikehau.

As long as our travel agent doesn't come back with crazy pricing I believe this is where we will be pre-cruise. We appreciate all of the advice we received and will definitely return the favor aft\er our trip.

Thanks again for all the great advice - Kimberly

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

Snorkeling at Sofitel Motu Bora Bora was amazing. The small motu on which the hotel sits is home to the famous Coral Gardens where the tours go to snorkel.

9. Re: Best hotel for snorkeling in Bora Bora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 15, 2010