We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscreen, Rafts and Canoe Breakfast

Denver, CO
3 posts
Save Topic
Sunscreen, Rafts and Canoe Breakfast

We are getting ready to go to Moorea and Bora Bora May 3 and now I’m starting to wonder some things...

From everything I have read, even if you can tan easily, sun screen is a must all the time. Seeing that sun screen is about $40 US there we want to know how much we should bring for our 12 day trip so we don’t run out. Also, what SPF do you recommend?

Second, it has been recommended to us to bring a cheap pool raft to use in the lagoon and hangout on them. That sounded like a fun idea to waste a lazy afternoon away. Then I think I read somewhere that is seen as being really tacky. I don’t want to be that type of traveler either. We are staying at the IC Thalasso.

Third, I’m wondering about this whole breakfast in a canoe thing. How much is it (US $) and is it really worth the money, or could the money be better used on a massage, or elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your time in helping us out!

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunscreen, Rafts and Canoe Breakfast

I think it is difficult to give advice about sunscreen because everyone has different skin. For me personally, I would not go outside in the tropics without SPF 45 or 50 and a hat, and I would make sure that the sunscreen is waterproof. For the face, I use a stronger sunscreen from France.

I would suggest a rashguard if you plan to snorkel or swim for any length of time. A rashguard was my most useful piece of clothing in French Polynesia. Not only will it keep your back, arms and chest from burning, it will also provide a bit of warmth in the water.

Regarding the canoe breakfast, I seem to remember that it was VERY expensive - well over $100. Perhaps someone on the forum can provide a better sense of the cost. We watched one being delivered to a neighboring OWB, and that was enough of a fix for us. We chose to spend the money on activities, diving, etc.

I didn't see anyone using a pool raft in the lagoons in Moorea or the Tuamotus. Most people are snorkeling or kayaking.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunscreen, Rafts and Canoe Breakfast

I would use at least 30 spf. I also bring one bottle of one a bit higher...45spf-70spf, just in case we get a little too much sun one day, or we accidentally missed the back of a leg or something, we can use something stronger for a day or two.

How much to bring...well...that really depends on how much you plan to be out in the sun. My husband and I don't hang out in the sun baking ourselves for hours like we used to. Several removals of skin cancer spots have finally taught us to be more careful in the sun. So we are only in the sun when we are out snorkeling and walking around/touring. We do not lay out in the sun for endless hours and bake anymore. We search for the shady spots to relax in now. For 2 weeks we bring 4 cans (6 oz)of the 30 spf clear spray on kind....and one of 45spf (just in case!). We apply before snorkeling and again after being in the water an hour or so. The spray on kind goes much faster than the lotion kind, but it's so much easier (and less messy) to use.

If you plan to spend many hours in the sun on your lounger baking yourself...then you will obviously need much more. If you bring the lotion kind, I would say probably 4 of the 8-10 oz bottles of 30spf each of you should be more than enough...plus one smaller bottle of something stronger.

As for the rafts...well...honestly, I have not seen many there. I don't think it'd be viewed as tacky though. Although it does sound like a nice way to spend the afternoon...personally, if I'm in the water, I'd rather be snorkeling than lounging on a raft on it. If it's breezy (or windy), which it often is, I think it might be hard to control where you are floating around on it.

Breakfast canoe....yes it is very expensive. But it's really up to you whether it's worth money or not. It's certainly a very cool and unique way to be served breakfast. For the actual food you will receive...no it's not worth the money. But you are paying for the service, not the food. They do bring you quite a lot of food though. So be sure to bring some Ziploc baggies to store any leftovers.

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunscreen, Rafts and Canoe Breakfast

k8Davis, bring a high SPF, the sun really hits hard and when your at the Thalasso on a motu, the sun hits even harder!

Even St Regis supplies FOC plastic pool rafts so don't think at all it tacky (they love it too when you leave it behind) just a note of caution, there can be very strong currents in the lagoon so do tie it with a rope!

Canoe breakfast is around 150 us$ 2 pax, is a wonderful and colourful experience and great for taking pics too! Hard to say if it is the money worth...

4. Re: Sunscreen, Rafts and Canoe Breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bora Bora