We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shully, Tahiti lay over

san diego
1 post
Save Topic
Shully, Tahiti lay over

Shully, My wife and I will be spending 8 days at the Bora Bora Pearl for our 25th! We have a 4:30 layover in Tahiti on our return flight back to LAX. Do we have to stay in the airport? Any thing we could do to kill some of the time while we wait for our flight?

Thanks Showman

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shully, Tahiti lay over

Hey Showman:

Yippee! Sounds great! Just a quick question....are you taking the last flight out of Bora Bora back to the airport in Papeete? If not I'd change it! You need to check in about two-two 1/2 hours prior...you could check in and take a cab to the Mache Papeete (Municipal Market two blocks from the pier, handicrafts and souveniers) or the Paul Gauguin museum if they are open....don't know what time you are getting to the airport, it's probably late in the day....if not open just do a little shopping at the airport and relax on those big cushy seats! (really they are!)

sunny regards,

Shully

Oceanside, New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shully, Tahiti lay over

Congrats on your 25th! My husband and I just celebrated our 25th at BB Pearl Beach! We were in POWB #50. It was amazing! We got complimentary champagne one night and fresh fruit the next in our bungalow. We snorkeled w/two manta rays in the outer lagoon off our bungalow on our last day!!!!!! Didn't care for the dinners @ the resort. We did purchase the breakfast buffet ahead of time.

We had a 6:00 pm flight from BB to Tahiti and it was delayed 45 minutes. Our connecting flight ws at 9:15. When we got to the airport we were told the NY plane had closed its doors and was ready to leave. We were annoyed at best. They contacted the plane and told us they were holding it for us. Anyway to make a long story short with little help from the airline people we were trying to race around to check in (the NY windows were closed) and everything when we got to the gate we discovered it wasn't ready and 90% of the passengers were boarding. It was the only glitch in our trip. Enjoy!

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shully, Tahiti lay over

As a lot of Tahiti flights leave to LAX very late. Is there a Hotel that anyone knows of that would allow people to use as a day pass. Say enjoy the pool and grab dinner at the hotel?? I was originally looking at a PG cruise and they have a deal with one of the hotels for that last day, don’t remember the hotel off hand. Was wondering if you were on your own if there were options? How early can you check in your luggage?? If you can check in your luggage early then you could spend the day wandering the market and sight seeing Tahiti YES??

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shully, Tahiti lay over

most hotels in Tahiti do day rooms. I'd stay in Bora Bora longer if I were you! Although you could try the Radisson...affordable four star...wouldn't recommend the Royal Tahitian or the Sofitel. You'd need to get transfers to and from the hotel as well....taxis are expensive.

have fun!

shully