We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a little timing advice

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Level Contributor
421 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Need a little timing advice

Hey all here -- FYI - great posts and information esp. to you experts -- you guys/gals have been a font of information..... anyway...

so we are planning a 2 week trip and flying AF - the flight gets in at 3:50 am and the departing flight back to LA is @ 7:30 am, meaning that we will for sure need to spend the one night in Tahiti on the return. We want to spend 4 nights @ Vahine and 5 At the 4 seasons BB(we'll be taking the helicopter between these, but will fly the other routes.

My question is... when we arrive should we stay some time in Tahiti - 2/3 nights - knowing there will be one on the return and that we would check in @ 5 am the one day and likely have to pay for that... Or do we just keep going to Moorea after landing in PPT - stay there 3 nights - then to Vahine and then to BB....

In essence would would basically miss Tahiti, save the one night in leu of Moorea.

Lastly we are trying not to do too much jumping around.

thanks

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a little timing advice

I'd pop over to Moorea right away. You will have a few hours delay upon arrival before the first flight or ferry over to Moorea. It would be a shame for you to miss Moorea! It is such a beautiful island ;)

SO SO picturesque! If you stay in Tahiti you have options of seeing downtown Papeete and shopping. Papeete is a big city! Maybe renting a car and driving around the island which is nice. Seeing some museums and there is also some night life here.

The beaches are black sand (beautiful in their own right, sparkles~) But the beaches are not the white sandy type. Moorea has lovely beaches and azure blue waters. Hope this helps! Most people don't stay in Papeete unless they need to do a forced overnight.

sunny regards,

shully

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a little timing advice

Ia orana

Arriving at 07:30 Pm, make a bee line to the Air Moorea flight and catch the evening connection to Moorea straight away.

just wait for that first wake up on Mooreae not having to worry about re-packing and schlepping straight away to another island... time is money.

Make the most of FP

I love the choice of islands and properties ...

meherio

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Level Contributor
421 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a little timing advice

Thanks - you had something to do with my choices <<GRIN>>

We arrive @ 3:50 AM into PPT(got the 4300 bus class AF deal) - so it will be the middle of the night. I know Air Tahiti has a 6am flight to Moorea - thinking we would catch that - or maybe a ferry.

Any idea if there will be an open lounge or suggestions what to do between 4 and 6 am?

Looks like Hilton has taken over the Sheraton, we may staty there, but have not decided - waiting to see if there will be improvement. Might just opt for the Pearl - what do you think? Also what about arriving first thing in the morning -- typically will the hotels allow us to use the facilities until the room is ready?

Lastly since we will have 3 flights PPT-Moorea-Riatea BB-PPT would buying the air pass be the best option?

Thanks again!!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a little timing advice

It will likely take you close to an hour to deplane, to get through immagration, luggage, and customs. It'll take 5-10 minutes to exchange some cash at the airport bank. And it takes about 10 minutes to walk over to the Air Moorea terminal. So you will really have around 45 minutes to kill. Probably only enough time to grab a cup of coffee at the snack bar.

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Level Contributor
421 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a little timing advice

Is there much open at that hour @ PPT?

Thanks,

Mark

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a little timing advice

I've never been there at that particular hour. But the bank will be open for sure, as it is for all international arrivals, and the snack bar will be open for sure, as it is open 24/7. There's really not much else at the airport, save a few gift shops and a pearl shop....they may or may not be open at that time, depending on if there are any outgoing international flights scheduled around then.

But like I said, it will likely take you 45-60 minutes to get all your arrival all finished...so you won't have too much time you will need to kill.

Marin County...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a little timing advice

I have a similar question - we get in also at 4am, and then we depart the following day on a cruise with Star Flyers. I am not sure what time that ship departs. I had assumed it made more sense to just stay someplace overnight close to the Airport (Radisson seems to be a popular one for pre-cruise) but would an overnight in Moorea and return the following day make sense?

Also - does Air France have any sort of biz. class lounge that would be open at that early hour? Or share a lounge with someone? I'm guessing showers are too much to ask for.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a little timing advice

I'm having the same problems also. My original flight, JFK-PPT, was canceled. We were supposed to land at midnight but now are landing at 4:30 am. It seems like a waste to stay in a hotel when we are going straight to Moorea anyway. Those who have landed at this time what did you do? What is the earlierest ferry to Moorea?

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a little timing advice

Hi trip :)

Just hang out at the airport is about all you really can do that early. Besides, You'll have to deplane, wait in line to go through immigration, wait for your bags, go through customs and get to the ferry dock. This will all take about an hour+. Not much time left until the first ferry :) Get a cup of java and start breathing slowly...you will be in paradise ;)

The first ferry Mon-Fri leaves at 6:05am, Sat & Sun at 7:30am.

sunny regards,

shully

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a little timing advice

The Papeete airport snack bar is open all night, so sit and have some coffee after you clear immigration and baggage claim and exchange some currency at the airport bank. The Air Moorea terminal opens about 5:30 a.m. -- try to reserve the first flight over to Moorea.

Most hotels do not have the rooms available until early afternoon. It's a good idea to pack your swimsuit, shorts, flip-flops, and a small sunscreen (3.4 oz. or less) in your carry-on so you can lounge on the beach or by the pool while you are waiting for your room.