We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour from Anchorage

Which Talkeetna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warren, OH
Level Contributor
54 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Day tour from Anchorage

Hi, I have been on numerous forums for my upcoming trip to Alaska and have greatly appreciated all the advice. I was wondering if it would be possible to do some type of day trip from Anchorage to Talkeetna for the day only. i am NOT interested in a flight seeing tour due to severe motion sickness. I will NOT have a rental car. So I am looking for a specific tour company that would offer a day trip from Anchorage. I would also be willing to take the train to Talkeetna, but without transportation I don't know if the train depot is within walking distance of the town and there is enough for me to do on my own by walking around. I am a 5o year old woman that will be by myself for the day. Does anybody have any suggestions? I would really like to work this town into my time in Alaska, if at all possible. I am interested in catching a glimpse of Mt. McKinley and visiting the town because I have read that is funky and unique. Thanks so much.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tour from Anchorage

Your best bet might end up being AK railroad, leaving Anchorage around 8 am, arriving in Talkeetna around 11am.

alaskarailroad.com/travel/…Default.aspx

Here's a map of Talkeetna to show you the relationship between the train station on the far south end of town (make sure to look at summer station location not the winter station):

www.susitnariverlodge.com/site/trails-maps

If you are a walker, Talkeetna is an easy town to walk. The walk down to the river will afford a view of the mountain if it is a clear day & visible.

Edited: 10:04 pm, January 19, 2014
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tour from Anchorage

The 4:55 PM train gets back in Anchorage around 8 PM.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,311 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tour from Anchorage

Your plan sound doable. Talkeetna is doable on foot.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tour from Anchorage

There is a detailed map on the town's web site. It shows the train depot in relation to the rest of the town, and the location of the shops, river park, etc.

talkeetnachamber.org/planning/how-to-get-her…

The trip would be easy to do DIY via the train, but if you prefer a tour, check the Anchorage web site to see if any vendors offer it. Salmonberry Tours offers a day trip with flightseeing so perhaps they offer just a ride to Talkeetna?

Edited: 1:43 am, January 20, 2014
Warren, OH
Level Contributor
54 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tour from Anchorage

Thank you for the confirmation about me being able to DIY the trip. I have checked the Salmonberry tours and was planning on emailing them to see if I could do the trip without flightseeing. I was just trying to see if there was another reliable tour company that offered a trip. At least knowing I can do it myself via train makes me happy!

6. Re: Day tour from Anchorage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 22, 2015