We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petersville Rd Ext

Which Talkeetna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Petersville Rd Ext

Hey all, my wife and I will be driving from Hatcher Pass to Healy in early July 2012 and I was checking out Talkneeta on Google Earth. can anyone tell me about Petersville Rd extension? It looks like a pretty driveable road that goes quite a ways in the direction of Denali. Should I dare drive our rental sedan up this road for a fun side trip adventure?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petersville Rd Ext

I think I quickly answered my own question. I looks like, from the Milepost, that I may be able to drive as far as the Forks Roadhouse. If the weather is clear the day we are driving through, it may be fun to drive up as far as we dare to get. :-)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petersville Rd Ext

It can be a good drive if the weather is nice but only go as far as you feel safe. When you start hitting the mud and deep holes, turn a round and continue your journey. I have only been out there in the winter but have heard from friends who travel the road in the summer.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petersville Rd Ext

We've camped up there several times with Mt McKinley right there- but we took our 4 wheel drive tank landcruiser to maneuver the deep, uneven ruts past the roadhouse. It's one of the worst roads we've ever driven.

The roadhouse has been open & then closed, open & then closed so I don't know the status of it. It's great- a real operational roadhouse.

The area is a popular snowmachining spot in winter & x-country skiing.

Edited: 9:24 am, March 14, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petersville Rd Ext

My honest opinion is NO! I love going up this road both in the summer and winter but the road is not suitable for Sedans. I know plenty of people that have gotten stuck out there. You can go up a short distance but you really will get great views of the Mountains elsewhere. You can always visit the Princess Lodge on the way up to Healy to get some amazing photos. Sitting out on their decks is free!

If you upgrade your car (really more for comfort) I do suggest the Denali HWY, trying out the Petersville Rd and going to Kennecott Mine (but this is on the other side of Anchorage)

Have Fun!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,914 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petersville Rd Ext

Regarding Hatcher Pass it usually isn't open until around July 4th. And with the amount of snow we have had this season, who knows

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petersville Rd Ext

Hatcher Pass Recreation Area will be open and you can visit Independence Mine and do some hiking. As K2icks stated the pass itself may not be open and you would not be able to drive Willow Fishook Rd if the pass is not open. Your car rental may not allow it anyway. You can still visit the Hatcher Pass Recreation Area and hike up to the pass if you like, you will just need to access the area using Wasilla Fishook Rd or Palmer Fishook Rd. These roads are both paved.

7. Re: Petersville Rd Ext

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 am, June 18, 2013