We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested McKinley Princess excursions?

Maryland
Level Contributor
475 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested McKinley Princess excursions?

We've booked some great excursions, but are not sure what to do with the Talkeetna/McKinley Princess portion. We are scenery junkies and taking the the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali, a float trip in Kenai, a 9 hour Skagway to Carcross train trip, whale watching in Juneau with Orca, a float plane trip in Ketchikan with Island Wings, etc. What would you suggest for two 60-somethings who are a lttle past heavy hiking. Since we're taking a float plane in Ketchikan, is it worth spending more big $ for a plane in Talkeetna? Do you have other suggestions? Thanks so much!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested McKinley Princess excursions?

I would suggest if you can get out of the Tundra Wilderness tour and book your own shuttle trip into Denali. You set to see more in Denali NP and save a lot of $$.

Yes I think a flightseeing trip out of Talkeetna is a great way to see Denali NP and should be considered if you can afford it.

P.S. Seems you've asked before

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31136-i3865-k3724… .

Edited: 8:37 am, July 11, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested McKinley Princess excursions?

I am not sure what you mean by "heavy hiking". To me, scenery is best enjoyed from foot. Plane rides give a second perspective, but there is nothing like being able to stand and take it all in.

I assume your tour takes you on a bus ride into Denali. I would suggest skipping the ride and purchasing tickets on the park bus. You will get the same history and interpretive info from the driver as you do on the tour and you can get on/off wherever you like.

You also get to leave earlier. I highly recommend booking the bus in advance so you can get on the 5:30 or 6:00 AM bus. The wildlife is more active in the morning and you will see a lot more of them.

Maryland
Level Contributor
475 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested McKinley Princess excursions?

You're so right - we apparently did. Problem is, we find that we receive perhaps one reply. Frankly, this is our last booking and I suppose we're getting anxious.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested McKinley Princess excursions?

"Problem is, we find that we receive perhaps one reply"

Not quite. You've received replies on this topic from fti, places, cjnky, arcticnite and now Von.

Misty Fjords doesn't look anything like Denali. As Von said, if you can afford it, go. If it's too expensive, lots of other excursions you can do from McKinley Princess that cost less: www.princesslodges.com/mckinley_lodge.cfm .

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,653 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested McKinley Princess excursions?

>>"Problem is, we find that we receive perhaps one reply"

>>Not quite. You've received replies on this topic from fti, places, cjnky, arcticnite and now Von.

And some of our responses were, let's just say, less than appreciated.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested McKinley Princess excursions?

Rent a car and do your own excursion. No time limits or hurry to get aboard a bus. Stay as long at one place as you like and change your mind where you are going and what you are doing if something looks interesting. A great side trip was Palmer and the Musk Ox Farm and the Glenellen highway. What a beautiful ride.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested McKinley Princess excursions?

There are no car rental outlets in Talkeetna.

8. Re: Suggested McKinley Princess excursions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, January 29, 2011