We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

I will be touring Alaska in a 21 ' RV during the month of July 2010 and would like top stay in Talkeetna during this time. Also what is the Rv camp grounds web site.

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
291 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

I thought I read somewhere that the festival has now been canceled after last year's "rowdiness". I could be wrong. Maybe one of the experts may have more on this matter. As far as the info I have gathered, it's done.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

You might try talkeetnachamber.org for info about the festival

We stayed at Talkeetna Camper Park in a 22' RV. It was fine; hookups, basically a gravel lot but quite a few trees and shrubs so it didn't feel like a parking lot . It's next to train tracks; trains came by twice during the night: I enjoyed the sound, but some people don't. You might want to look at rvparkreviews.com for personal opinions of various parks in Alaska. There's another park in Talkeetna, something to do with a boat launch. If you go to the reviews, you'll find it. The Alaska Milepost is a great resource too; info on vistas, activities, campgrounds, restaurants, hotels, etc.

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

I am not an expert on Alaska like M_M but yes, tripgirl74 is right, the Moose Dropping Festival has been dropped.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

As earlier stated, likely gone for good. Here's what happened: adn.com/news/alaska/matsu/story/908842.html

Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

Thanks to all as I didn't know it had been canceled. I am still interested in the RV camp grounds name located close to town by the railroad tracks.

Sounds like a few bad eggs has ruined the whole thing, sad for the town of Talkeentna.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

Talkeetna Camper Park .

The other one is Talneetna RV Park and Boat Launch.

rvparkreviews.com/regions/…Talkeetna.html

Alaska
Level Contributor
72 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

The main festivities of the Moose Dropping festival have been cancelled for 2010; although I hear that the softball tournement and some other 'unofficial' activities are still planned. You never know what will happen in Talkeetna on ang given day !

Unfortunately, 'the bad apples' as one poster put it, were from out of town, and most of the shenanigans were occuring down near the river, which unfortunately, was not being properly monitored as was the main part of town. The visitation was larger than anyone expected and this small community (without any police or government organization) was not prepared to handle it. That will not be the case in the future, to be sure.

Most believe the Festival will be back in business in 2011; albiet with a little more care given to crowd control...Talkeetna is a fun place regardless. Be sure to visit.

Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

I agree Talkeenta is a special old fasion Alaska town and I have been there twice. I will be touring Alaska for 28 days ( June 29 to July 27- 2010) I wanted to try to meet some REAL Alaska folks everywhere I travel. I will be staying in a 21' rv there for a few days. I have heared of the folks who live up the railroad tracks ( back in the bush a bit) I would love to meet a few of them, maybe even have a supper or cook out. I will be 65 years old by then and live in Michigan. I use to own a Canadian fishing and bear hunting camp so I am not excaxctly a green horn to the wilderness as it was a wilderness camp. . I am not Davey Crocket either just a person who loves and appreciated the wilderness.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

Lundys21, another real Alaskana town is Hope. You can park your RV right on the water of Turnagain in town, meet local fishermen, walk around to look at the old cabins, eat, drink & be merry in Hope, Alaska. Another interesting place to meet Alaskans is the Russian RIver Ferry that has RV spots all right next to each other. It's Alaskan fish camp with easy access. It's hard not to meet your neighbors there, plus get a chance to eat some red salmon!

Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Moose Dropping Days for 2010 in Talkeentna

denalicat:

I am getting ready to book three nights at the (Cooper Landing) Russian River RV camp sites for June 30 to July 2ed. We were there last July just for a quick look with three other couples. Then on to Homer for four nights at the split to look around. I am hopeful to book a Halibut fishing trip and send my catch (most of it anyway) home. I have looked at staying a night or two in Hope and would like to meet and talk with locals. I will at some point be in many places and I am hoping for the opportunity to meet the REAL ALASKANS. I will be in Anchorage,Cooper Landing,Homer, Maybe Hope,Seward, Palmer, Glenn & Richardson Highways, Valdez,Tok,Chicken Denali Park, and Talkeetna.

I thank you for your comments on both Hope and the Russian River Ferry