We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flagstop train

Perth
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
flagstop train

How scenic is the flagstop train to hurricane gulch. We are staying in Talkeetna for 1 night and are looking at the best way to spend a day before going onto Denali. This will possibly be our only trip to Alaska and want to make the most of it. Perhaps the rafting trips are more scenic?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flagstop train

How are you getting to Denali? It is the same path as the train to Denali. You will also drive over Hurricane Gulch if you are driving, I would recommend a raft trip.

Perth
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: flagstop train

We are hiring a car and driving fom Anchorage to Fairbanks and back down the Richardson highway. Do you still suggest the rafting? We are active 50 year olds

Thanks for your input!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flagstop train

I have only taken the flagstop to Curry, but I would guess there is not a lot to see along that section. You might get a good view of Denali if it is out, but I do not think there is a lot to see besides trees between Talkeetna and Hurricane. It can be an interesting trip if you enjoy people there will be all sorts on that train. If you are driving take advantage of the numerous hotels in the area with view decks and stop and have a meak or a drink if the mountain is out. Be sure to stop at the south senali view point (mi. 135 Parks) and the Byers Lake Veteran's Memorial not far up the road. The Mckinley Princess Lodge also has a great deck with a view it is 30-40 miles north of Talkeetna. Maybe if rafting is not what you are up to a Jetboat tour may be more fun. I have been on a Mahay's tour and enjoyed it. Also stop at Hurricane Gulch on your way north, it is quite a sight.

texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: flagstop train

I am really a fan of the railroad but the Hurricane Turn only goes about 55 miles north and returns. No on-board snackbar. As another poster said, you can see the same basic scenery from the highway. The one plus, in my opinion, would be the possibility of meeting some interesting "sourdoughs" on board. But that is not a guarantee.

5. Re: flagstop train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, September 22, 2009