We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Datca

Which Datca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Datca

We are planning to drive from Dalaman to Datca but our flight gets in at around 9pm. Can you recommend a stop over hotel/pension/b&b on the d400. Don't fancy Marmaris so looking for somewhere peaceful and quiet. Any suggestions?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Datca

Hi Mandy

As it's only a 2 1/2 hour drive from Dalaman to Datca, you might want to consider driving straight there, as there's usually far less traffic on the roads at that time of the night, especially on the road from Marmaris to Datca, you'll probably only see a few donkeys ;)

But if you would prefer to drive by day and be able to enjoy the views along the way and wish to stop somewhere for the night, there are plenty of hotels along the way. You could try Dalaman, Ortaca, Koycegiz and if you wouldn't mind going out of your way a little, Dalyan and Akyaka are beautiful places where I'm sure you would be happy to wake up in, these two are definitely worth seeing!

Must say though, that there are peaceful parts in Marmaris too ;) I would recommend you consider the Ekin Hotel and apartments in Armutalan, it's situated in a very quiet road. I haven't stayed there myself (yet) but have enjoyed a great meal and did have a look around. It was basic but very clean. It is also very close to the D400 for easy access to Datca which is only about an hours drive and very scenic.

This may help you with some of the hotels in the area on route.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=hotels+in+koycegiz&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=hotels&hnear=0x408337b2857e46b9:0x786de7edf18b5488,K%C3%B6yce%C4%9Fiz,+Turkey&ei=JGXcUrP8K8a07QbN-IGYDw&ved=0CPIBELYD

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Datca

Hi Mandy,

I don't know whether or not you've ever been or driven in Turkey before, but it is normally best recommended not to drive at night - especially not along routes you are not familiar with. So I agree with you, after a long day, I think it would be best to just drive maybe about 30 mins and stay the night at Dalyan - lots of choice of places to stay here, plus you would be able to get a bite to eat and a drink, and then enjoy the beautiful views in the morning before heading off to Datca. (I have never yet seen any good recommendation for any of the hotels near the airport in Dalaman). Also the road to Datca is so beautiful, you really want to be able to appreciate it by daylight - as is the stunning descent down to Marmaris.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Datca

Ditto what Attagul said - stay at Dalyan, or maybe Koycegiz.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Datca

Ditto and ditto again. Last year I looked at hotels near Dalaman airport for a friend who had to fly out very early. He didn't thank me for my recommendation.

If your flight gets in at 9 you won't be on the road before 10pm, so don't think of going far.

Dalyan is a good bet. I'm not familiar with Koycegiz.

Edited: 2:58 pm, January 20, 2014
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Datca

Definitely Dalyan, not far off your route and only half an hour away, choose a pension, have a meal and recharge your batteries. I would not recommend you drive directly to Datca, 100 miles on unfamiliar mountain roads in the dark is not a pleasant experience, besides you will miss the fabulous views between Marmaris and Datca!

UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Datca

I always drive from Dalaman to Datca and have done it numerous times without problems, often late at night.. My husband and I take it turns and stop off at a cafe just after the police check at Ceti Beli for a drink. In high season it stays open very late. I haven't had any problems driving at night and once past Marmaris the roads are mountainous but very quiet. They have improved those roads so much since I first visited over 20 years ago. You just have to be aware of the wild boar and donkeys but we don't always see them. One tip is we don't change our watches from UK time to Turkish until we get into bed which means if we arrive at 10pm it is only 8pm in our heads!

If you really have to stop, there are a few hotels near the airport and as others have mentioned about 45 minutes away is Koycegiz - a little town by a lake. It's not far off the main road. Once past Marmaris there isn't much, just a few cafes which may not be open late.

Matlock, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Datca

Try Dalyan you can find plenty hotel also good to visit

Matlock, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Datca

Hi we sometimes catch a flight that lads late we have found a really good hotel on the sea front in Marmaris very quite this time of the year we are staying there again in April for one might you get a sea view if you ask it is only about twenty two ponds for a double room it is called Malibu beach

9. Re: Driving to Datca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, June 14, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Datca