We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cats and Dogs

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Devon
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cats and Dogs

Just returned today from my first trip to Dalyan. Loved it apart from the stray cats and dogs that seem only to survive by scrounging food from the tourists.

What happens to these poor creatures when the tourists go home, are they left to starve?. We fell in love with one particular dog who could have only been 6 months old and it broke my heart last night having to leave her behind. If I knew how to go about it, I would arrange to take her back to England with me.

Is it just me, or does the way the locals treat animals upset others. It will put me off returning again.

U.K.
Level Contributor
671 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cats and Dogs

My husband and I feel the same, we always find one or two that we become fond of. I dont remember seeing many strays in Turkey but in India and the far east there are loads. Its heartbreaking. We always feed them when we can but have been criticised for it. There was a thread on another forum about it a while ago and a lot of people feel that if you feed or make a fuss of them you spoil it for other tourists who dont want to be bothered with them. I dont care what anyone else thinks, if I see a cat or dog that looks neglected or hungry I will feed it and make a fuss of it.I know it doesnt solve the problem but I cant ignore them.My husband always saves some meat from restaurants just in case we meet one on the way back to the hotel.

I wouldnt know how to go about getting one back to England but if you could it would certainly have to go into quarantine for a lengthy period.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cats and Dogs

Hi: there was an excellent thread on the Turkey forum some months back that addressed this problem and mentioned how one can help these animals. if I can locate it I will cut and paste it here. In Istanbul I have lots of cat friends so I understand how you feel. Happy Travel, LemonLady

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cats and Dogs

Hi there,

I do understand your concern. This left us by now wiht 4 cats and 2 dogs!

I Istanbul the wild cats and dogs are really the fattest ones. They live around their private garbage bin. Plus the locals feed them a lot extra.

Also Istanbul Municipality takes the dogs from the streets, sterilizes them and puts them back on the street with a mark in their ear.

The way the people see an animal here in the south of Turkey is surely different. They all have their animals but most seem to care less. Hard to judge though, how do we European treat our pigs sometimes......

For Fethiye there is now the same system as in istanbul for the stray dogs. The cats are well fed around the fish market and lazy lying around in the daytime.

For Dalyan I guess if the animals survive the winter they are lucky unfortunately. But one thing is true, once you feed a stray cat or dog they loose their hunting ambition. A wild cat can 100 percent sure cater themselves, for the dogs I just wouldn't know.

I remember on a holiday to Patara I was followed back to the pension by 8 dogs! They were so friendly and happy. They looked good age so they might find their way.

Some places you see more stray dogs then other like Patara and near Fethiye in Calis beach.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cats and Dogs

Hi there

we are off to Turkey in a couple of weeks going to OD does anyone know if there are alot of strays??

My husband and i went to Margarita in May and there were loads of strays there and it put me going back as i get too emotional (perhaps a little irrationally ) i used to sneak food out of the hotel and feed the doags on the beach the good thing about Margarita is that at least it a year round destination.

there will be some animal charity in Turkey or perhaps some ex pats that take an interest you could do a search on the net

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cats and Dogs

I had some walks in the wintertime on Oludeniz beach with my own dog, there were just a few dogs around, 2 or 3 and I think they were owned by some of the few locals who stay in the winter.

essex U.K.
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cats and Dogs

Opposite the Dalyan Spice shop is a travel agent called Ozalp Travel a young English man named Dale works there and his mother runs a dog rescue service at her home in Koygeiz,(nr. to DALYAN) she pays for the upkeep and innoculations and also finds homes for these unfortunate animals and would be grateful for any left over loose change from your holidays no matter how small...if you feel that you can help just see Dale and he would see that it goes to his mothers good cause..thanx... RAY.

wa
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Cats and Dogs

I was browsing, I happened to see your comments about the stray dogs and cats.

Yes, it is really heart breaking seen for animal lovers. This is for your information: Please go to this web site and see if there is anything that you can do to help.

Here it is:

koycegizonline.com/Koycegiz_animal_shelter/i…

Regards,

cat_purrrrson

kalkan
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cats and Dogs

There is also an excellent dog & cat rescue centre in Fethiye. It has a large and well-run facility in Fethiye itself (which is well worth a visit - and a donation - if you do go. It also does sterling work travelling periodically to the surrounding towns/villages in its a mobile clinic to carry out sterilisation programmes.

Details are on its Website:

www.straydogsturkey.org

It is a properly registered Turkish associatin, and has, I believe, associate membership of the RSPCA.

9. Re: Cats and Dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan