We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dalyan First Timers

donkbus
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dalyan First Timers

Hi all. Dalyan has been suggested to us by friends for our 2014 family holiday. However we have never been to Turkey as a family and wondered what recommendations people have about this resort. We usually book our flights and accommodation independently preferring self catering basis as we enjoy eating out at nihht. However as our children are getting older we realise they need more to occupy them so we are thinking about a hotel complex. Our children will be 14 and 11 next summer so if you have any ideas on airlines (UK North West) and hotels/aparthotels we would love to hear from you. Many thanks.

south wales
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Dalyan First Timers

Hi sally, I have been on travel one holidays and have had some great holidays. Not been on the one in dalyan but have been to dalyan twice on my own. Going with travel one is more expensive and its luck of the draw with the company. I have been lucky when travelling on my own I have always met up with single travellers. Dalyan is lovely and I'm sure u will enjoy. Hope this makes sence to you.

Doncaster, England...
Level Contributor
101 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Dalyan First Timers

My reply is to both of you:

Donkbus:

I have taken my kids (now age 11 & 22) to Majorca for the last few years, hotel on the beach with lots of entertainment, lots of shopping at night etc. Thought I was taking a risk in Dalyan but really fancied the place, based on a google search of "best beach in Turkey" which was how I found it.

I was so so wrong!

We arrived late at night and the next morning I was concerned to see there were no other kids at the hotel we stayed in (Riverside Hotel). My 11 year old is not easy to please (think mini Victor Meldrew!) so I wondered how we would occupy her, my 22 year old is laidback so no problem there. Well believe me, there was never a dull moment!

First day spent sunbathing then second day was the hotel boat trip. I will tell you some of what we did on that however I gather most of the boat trips are pretty similar:

Swam in the hot lake near the beach, young lads were diving down for the mud and covering themselves in it , all being watched by the goats a few yards away on the mountain.

Couple of hours on Turtle Beach.

My youngest got bored on the beach, got back on the boat and caught a bucket full of crabs, which were then barbecued for the rest of the guests (along with the barbecue food we were already having).

She got towed on a rope tied to the back of the boat, going up river, at twighlight, amazing! She said it was awesome and better than a water park any day. (I will put a pic on of some of these things if I already haven't).

We did this trip twice and the second time was even better as we were friends with all of the other guests by then, and I can truly say it was one of the most memorable days of my life, it was so lovely.

We also did the Jeep Safari, you just have to do this! Everything went wrong from start to finish, ran out of petrol, jeep broke down, 2nd driver didn't know the way, driver lost jeep keys and had to call mechanic, my daughters shoes broke, lent her mine, then mine broke too. You name it, it went wrong. BUT STILL , the drivers made sure they took us to every single place on the list, they fixed my shoes, and were fantastic fun, and if anything it taught me to chill, calm down, and go with the flow! Another fantastic day (Sardes tours on the main street). Ok so we were late back by about 2 hours, but we really didn't care. The nightlife starts pretty late anyway so it really didn't matter to be going out to eat a bit later

Bus trip to Turtle Beach, did this a few times. Amazing views and the turtle sanctuary is well worth a visit. Spent a fortune on stuff in Kaptan June's hut but it all goes to the sanctuary and when you see the poor turtles with chunks out of their heads you won't begrudge a penny. I bought the book about Kaptan June's story and really enjoyed it. My oldest daughter is in her 3rd year at Uni doing art and this holiday inspired her to design a children's computer game based on turtle preservation.

The market is great fun. Both of them couldn't wait to go and spend all their money on fake Adidas, Converse etc. And the market traders shouting "Asda Price, Primark, Matalan, Cheap as chips," will have them giggling.

We were lucky enough to be on the river bank so took the hotel pedalo a couple of times to the local mud baths (didn't do the tourist one). A friend I met had done this before so she showed me the ropes. The actual ride down the inlet is beautiful and peaceful. Just poke around in the mud with a stick, get a handful, cover yourself, then wash it off with the hot water running out of the side of the mountain and bobs your uncle!! As long as you don't mind the frogs that sit and watch!

Leyley restaurant was great. It's a couple of miles out but they pick you up and drop you off at your hotel, there is Turkish dancing and a belly dancer, with audience participation (if you want to), a surprisingly fun night. You choose your table in advance and at the side of the restaurant are storks nesting high up on tall platforms, so that was also great to see.

I like to think of Dalyan as an activity holiday with lots of chilling and relaxing. We only had 11 days and I have so many more trips planned for this year - number 1 will be Saklikent Gorge. For the first 4 days of the holiday I had a chest infection and could barely walk so we didn't do anywhere near as much as we would have liked to.

Ok so you won't get conga round the pool, bingo, karaoke, aerobics in the pool, or all the rest. But you will get the most fun, relaxed, different and memorable kind of holiday, with scenery to die for thrown in as an added bonus.

Sally:

We stayed at the Riverside Hotel, I think this is the only Travelone hotel (that I am aware of). I didn't go through them as I was with my children but I am a single parent so I wasn't part of a couple.

There were probably more single people than couples, and only one other family. The single women ranged from about early 30's to 70's , a couple of men too. Every single one of them was having a whale of a time. Nobody was ever alone unless they wanted to be. I made friends with a lovely lady who had been there before. She told me where the mudbaths were, told me where to eat, directed me to the pharmacy etc. Sometimes she came with me and my kids, sometimes she went out alone, sometimes she went off to visit someone she had met the year before who was staying at another hotel, sometimes she went out with the other people who were with Travelone, now and again we went for a walk and left my kids. My point is everyone just did what they wanted when they wanted, if you fancy mingling there are plenty of like minded people, if you don't it's quite normal to see people out and about on their own, it was fab. The lady in the room next door to me was there on her own for 8 weeks! Late at night we would sit round the bar and it didn't matter if you were on your own, part of a couple, or with a family, everyone joined in together. I don't know if you are going to the Riverside but within a day of getting to Dalyan I bet you won't worry at all. There are no problems with being pestered by Turkish men (as I had been warned!). Total rubbish. They were never anything but polite, friendly, helpful, respectful and courteous and they really can't do enough to make your holiday enjoyable. It really made my mind up that I will go on holiday on my own one day. If by some twist of fate my kids don't want to go with me this year I will still go to Dalyan by myself (no such luck though I'm afraid).

Sorry if this is too long but I don't think you can say it all in a few lines.

Doncaster, England...
Level Contributor
101 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Dalyan First Timers

Sorry to go on but, Donkbus, so many wonderful places to eat it would be a shame to do anything but self catering. The first holiday where every single one of us has cleared every single plate at every meal. And you really can't beat eating on the river bank. Beats a beach holiday hands down.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Dalyan First Timers

Thank you for coming back to me. I will keep investigating and I have never been with Travel One before and am concerned about their terms and conditions stating that if the minimum numbers are not reached on a holiday they can cancel four weeks before which is pretty late. I have tried to book the Hotel Riverside independently but it appears to be full already for the weeks I am looking at. Also if I am going to try this I would need to find an airline. Very frustrating at the moment.......

donkbus
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Dalyan First Timers

Once again a great big thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute to this thread. Especially Janine L for her fantastic, detailed and helpful reply. Great effort! Anyway back to Dalyan. Rarely have I read about a resort, which receives such positive and enthusiastic reports. The number of repeat visitors is quite astonishing. It's like a big social club! Great beaches, good food, friendly people, comfortable accommodation & even mud and turtles! What's not to like?........... Well nothing really which is why I'm please to tell you all that we've booked for two weeks in August. Yippee!!!! In the end it was a no brainer. Thanks once again for all those who replied and if you around in August the drinks are on me! ;)

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Dalyan First Timers

Sally, You don't need to book a singles holiday to be a singleton in Dalyan. I'm now 65 and have probably been to Dalyan 25 times over the last 12 years. I've never booked a 'singles' holiday and probably never will. Just choose a flight, transfer service and accommodation that suits your needs and you're away. It is so easy to meet other people in Dalyan that you'll never be alone.

Any particular worries you have, just ask and we will all do what we can do to help!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Dalyan First Timers

Thank you for this Carol. I have now booked with Travel One but this has given me confidence that if all goes as well as it is reviewed I will go independently next year....who knows! Thank you so much for coming back to me.....

essex
Level Contributor
722 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Dalyan First Timers

Janine L, That was such a wonderful review! Sounds a bit silly but I had a lump in my throat reading it as it reminded me just how magical Dalyan is!

We were very hesitant when we first visited Dalyan as we had never been to Turkey before but I can honestly say we fell in love with it! No hassle from waiters, in fact they were simply delightful and shared so much knowledge with us. Never once did we feel that anyone was trying to take advantage.

I have never been to such a friendly place where everyone chats around the bar about everything and anything. Its so warm and relaxing and I am just so pleased we found our little slice of heaven!

Doncaster, England...
Level Contributor
101 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Dalyan First Timers

Thank you Mrs Magoo, magical truly is the word I would use to describe it. I may be back with just my youngest daughter this year rather than both of them, but even if it's just the two of I know we'll still have a wonderful time.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
669 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Dalyan First Timers

I loved the review too and also your fantastic holiday spirit where on the jeep trip even though everything went wrong you still had an amazing day. I love Trip Advisor but on some of the forums (not Dalyan) it seems a magnet for moaning minnies but you seem to have a great attitude.